Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

I’m a short time member, but have made a few posts and done a whole lot of lurking as there are some great builders and info on this site. Love the speed of the new forum too!

I’m 46 years old and live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada with my lovely wife Peggy, 18 and 20 year old daughters, Nadia and Alex and three small terriers, Lexi, Josie (sisters) and Lexi’s daughter, Lyric. I was raised in the Land of the Mighty Peace River in Northern Alberta and grew up hunting, fishing, trapping, canoeing, yadda, yadda.

I’m a Project Director for a large Industrial General Contractor. I am currently responsible for a silo (Froth Treatment) on the Albian Sands Expansion Project (part of the oilsands) near Fort McMurray, Alberta, which would be one of the largest construction projects in the world right now and for the next 10 years.

I started building guitars in 2002 and have built 5 archtops to date. I’m currently working on an archtop bass and parts of a few other projects. I’ve been playing for over 25 years but have not been putting the right amount of time into it over the past few years and have been stagnating somewhat. I can still croon with the best of them however around a campfire with a few beers and a little distance vastly improving the sound of it all :lol:

The attached picture is of myself and family with Fred Eaglesmith, a great Canadian singer/songwriter from Ontario. He was joking that a song he recently sold to Toby Keith (White Rose) paid for the truck, the trailer and half the old bus. The other picture is two of my bench dogs.

Darrel Friesen

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
Closing in on 59 and retired. Live in Branson, MO with my wife Ronda and 4 kids. 2 yorkies who rule the village live in and 2 cats on of which is a 24 lbs. Champ Maine Coon who is a big coward. Also my 17yr old grandson who graduated early from highschool now lives with us. Love that and time to spend with him.

I spent most of my life in law enforcement and USMC. My military experience was mostly with Force Recon (which at time was not part of what was known as Spec Ops as it is now) But was with 3d Recon from mid 1967 and stayed until Dec or so of 1970. Stayed active until 71 and then Reserves number of yrs. Once out of active duty, went into law enforcement and did that until 1994, until injury forced retirment.

In mid 70's a new goverment agency was recruiting officers on contract basis with larger departments, that became DEA. I did that and worked around U.S. and other places in various capacities for numerous years. Most of it was setting up and working with organized crime units, hanging out with cream of crop folks in drug and other enterprises. All those years and nothing bad happens, go back to streets in uniform and within a year, breaking up a fight and attempted suicide with some nice motorcycle folks I got a serious stab wound and broken back. Go figure. Continued awhile but doc finally said one more fight and injury, would be in a wheelchair rest of life so the forced retirment.

After retirment from cops, took partnership in what became and still remains the largest insurance fraud investigative company in OK (and several surrounding states) I gave that up in 2003, as noted from a previous thread. Since I was also retired from USMC and then 100% perm and total rating with VA for additional service connected injuries and agent orange issues, VA sent me to Galloup's school in late 2003.

On return from school, built a few guitars and met with John Mayes a few times for additional help. Thanks John. My roommate from Galloup had moved to Maine with family and hooked up with Dana Bougeois(sp for now) and called me one night and suggested contact Dana and see about apprenticeship. I did both for awhile and learned more than ever thought could from great builder and others in shop , particulalry John Slobod. Once left Maine and on way back to OK, stopped in Branson and have been here now going on 3 yrs. During this time met with and worked for my greatest influence in this business and guy love like a brother Bill Moll. Was there until about 8 months ago. Been member of OLF from almos the beginning. Used to post a lot, but not so much now. Learned alot from Mario, the Kinnard bros, John Howe and others. Thaks guys

I am setting up shop in home I bought and going to do some building. I have however found I really like repair work. I like getting broken or project guitars and fixing them. I think it has really helped or will be a great source of learning to build better. Most of my builds have been donations to some kids with low income and guitar talent. I have redirected that and now most go to disabled vets who can play, but can't afford a decent guitar. Thus the repair stuff. I buy from ebay and garage sells, repair them and then give them to folks. This is becoming quite expensive though and now am trying to do repairs and plan builds for income (way lower probably than market) and use funds for the other work.

So now just a really fat guy who loves luthery and spend alot (almost full)time in shop. I do take time daily though to go golf on course I live on and trout flyfish in one of best trout waters anywhere (lake Taneycomo) which is about 1 minute from house. Oh yea, have 6 kids and now 16 grandkids. Two of who want to do this and I plan on showing them what I can, and then send them to Galloups on my dollar. Another is turning into a really good player so will help him and all the others with school. The funds from business will not go to the gov in taxes if can help it and what better way to spend it than on the grandkids shcool, whatever I can and whatever they want to pursue.

Oldest is 17 and now out of school keeps talking about joining USMC. I am really proud of him for that, but trying to direct him away as he is graduated early from school with a 3.9 gpa and scored extremely high (say way above the highest norm, but I may be predjuiced) on whatever test for schools which I can't remember names. Thinks SAT or ATC something like that. He has several scholorships offered in baseball and academics. Also and really good, are the papers with recommendations in process for Naval Academy appointment. He however is very stubborn and thinks he can't wait and school will be there later. I am about to knock him in the head, so pray for him and me. I am about there with him, so hope I will salute him in about 5 years, but again pretty stubborn and some say he is like me, I am not stubborn though, ask the family. He has spent the past 5 full summers with us and is moved here with us in Jan, and so I have time to work on him. His dad passed away 4 years ago, and before that lived with single mom, so I have as he and others say, I have been the big influence guy in his life. By way, did I say I am really proud of him, but want to knock him in the head if not go to the Academy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:01 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Martin
Last Name: Edwards
41, high school teacher of design & technolgy, Engineering & Information Technology

1 wife, 4 kids, no pets worship leader in church.....

what else y'all need to know?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Chas Freeborn wrote:
Hey Arnt,
Do you know my good friend Andreas Aase?

Chas, are you kidding me? You know Andreas??!!! Small world! We went to school together, I played in a band with him for a little while back then too, and, I built a guitar bouzouki for him just last year! So yes, I do know him; the question is how do you know him?

The link to this youtube clip has been posted before, but what the heck... It shows Andreas playing the guitar bouzouki I built for him (I'm building an identical guitar to make a "matched pair" for him now, BTW).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:15 am 
Koa
Koa

I'm 50 years old, married for 26 years with 3 kids who are now, for the most part, out of the house on their own or at university. I've worked for the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (Canada's nuclear regulatory agency) for the past 23 years, currently as a director in charge of a division responsible for internal planning and performance measurement. If you want to know something about CANDU reactors, I can probably help you out.

I built my first guitar, a mahogany classical about 20 years ago. About four years ago my daughter bought a $200. guitar for my older son to take away to university. I was touched by the gesture since she was a student herself at the time and $200. was a lot of money to her. That inspired me to build a guitar for her and I've since built one for every member of my family (and one friend). I'm currently building one (number 7) for a friend of my son. I intend to keep at this when I retire and continue to build for family, friends and charity. I may try selling some in future because I'm interested in what their value would be in the open market and I think that objective will keep pushing me to build better guitars. However, like Hesh has stated, I don't want to turn what for me has become a wonderful hobby into something that is more like a job.

As you may have gathered from my avatar, I like to play tennis and I'm a long-time, true-blue parrothead.

Pat

Those that make things happen,
those that watch things happen,
and those that wondered what happened.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Dave
Last Name: Anderson
City: Clearwater
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 33755
Well, My turn I guess, Dave Anderson 52 . Born and raised in Ohio and moved to Florida at age 24. My wife passed away in 89' and I have a great 27 year old son who lives nearby. I started as a motorcycle mechanic (Harley D.) after high school and worked at a number of shops until I tired of it and was ready for something else! I bounced around a lot of construction jobs until I settled on plastering/stucco. I started my own business in 86' and still have it going strong. I have played guitar since around 12 years old. My father and I built my first electric guitar ( a Heath-kit ) and a dual 12" amp. He was a Ham radio operator and a good solderer so he did most of it. I got interested in acoustic guitar building in 02' and I am totally addicted now!! It's a hobby that I love and will do it till my final days I'm sure! It was wonderful finding the OLF and you all have been such a tremendous help. Can you guys imagine starting out without the OLF and other forums nowadays that have taught us so much? I have so much respect for the old timers that started building before the internet !! So, thanks Lance and Brock for the OLF and also this great thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:45 am 
Koa
Koa

Me ? 50 years young.. never married , no children . I live in the lower hudson valley of new york , about 50 miles north of NYC ,, I started inthe construction trades when I was about 15 years old, roofing on weekends and summer breaks, eventualy became skilled in all aspects of carpentry and home improvements, have been doing that way too long now.I traveled around the US for many years playing pool for a living , and working construction when I got tired of traveling .. then getting back into pool playing when I got (sick and )tired of the job site politics !
I plunk away on the geetar and sing a little , practice when I have the time ( soemtimes years go by when I dont ).. I got into vintage instruments looking for that "sound" . one part of the story you never hear is those "old" classics are rarely right .
had been thinking about getting into lutherie for about the last three years ,then I bought a 66 gibson j-200 , couldnt tune it , took it to a local guy who informed me the bridge was misplaced ( at the factory , I still dont get it ) and offered to refret,make a new nut , and a new ( not even replica ) bridge , for about $1,150.00 ( american LOL) at that point i decided I was in the wrong business, contacted Frank Finnocchio in pa, ( whom I had sought out to repair an older martin ( thats another story ) I had purchased online ) took his guitar building class last september , which I can already see will save me much time in the trial and error realm !( oh yeah and the bonus is I now have a vintage sounding guitar that plays sweet with a modern set up !)
now I am in the process of my first solo build and tooling for for guitar construction , I hope to be doing lutherie full time in five years or so ( or whenever it happens ), as I am getting realy sick of home improvements, the cost of insurance , the lack of quality of materials ( and the cost of the same), the aches and pains of my wron out body , customers with the " i want it yesterday (or in 5 minutes , convienient store mentality ) , and the influx of way too much cheap labor into this country , is realy taking its toll on the business, in other word's IT SUCKS ! Luckily I have been doing this for a very long time and have a solid customer base , which is helping me ride out the rescession . But hey life is what you make of it ! I find the idea of working at home in a shop , and having people bring the work to me very appealing ! I realy appreciate all the people on this site that share their hard earned knowlegded with us wannabe's...... Jody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:03 am 
Koa
Koa

Oh Yeah! Hey everybody, my name is Burton LeGeyt. I am 30 years old and currently sharing a converted carraige house in Brookline Village, Massachusetts with my girlfriend and three other great people. I have my (very small) shop on the bottom floor surrounded by artist studios. It is a step up, I built my first three in a 9x10 bedroom rental that would get down to freezing on winter nights, even with the radiator going full blast. I have been pretty much obsessed with building for three years and loving it. I try to spend every evening and all my free weekend time in the shop. It always seems to take longer than it should though. I have been lucky to have a great group that meets close by, the New England Luthiers group, and I have been able to meet other people there who have taught me a lot! Many of them post here also.

I came at this from Fine arts, I kept a painting studio before I started building and I am fascinated by the strict geometry in different styles of painting and design. Specifically, the Tibetan buddhist Thangka paintings were (and still are) a huge inspiration on my life and work. I do not follow the religion, but I am fascinated by the paintings, the process, and the strict design, all of which translate perfectly for me over to building.

I love learning about things and The OLF has been an invaluable tool as I try to become a better builder. Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge and experiences! It is very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:18 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Ok, I'm game...

I'm 26 years old, and as of Wednesday, a new daddy! I'm married to the best woman in the world, whom I've known since the 6th grade. I'm a second generation carpet and upholstery tech (read: carpet cleaner), having started out working for my father when he opened his own company when I was 11. Sadly, he opted to retire some years back and I spent 6 years working in property management, handling anything from apartment complexes to HOA's. Eventually I went back to doing floors for a living as it is much less stressful and I enjoy the work. Hopefully I'll be able to reopen the family business in a few years.

I've been playing (or playing at) guitar for about 12 years, and I'm now boning up on my music theory in hopes of teaching the neighborhood kids for a few bucks on the weekends. I've been interested in lutherie for almost as long as I've been playing, and after several years of living in apartments, I finally have a place with a big yard that's just begging to have a shop built, though with the new addition to the family, it's likely to be some years before I get the time and/or money to do something like that. For now I quell my urges to build by studying the art and spending a lot of time lurking here at OLF, mostly drooling over the work you guys do. Keep it up!

Well, that's about it... I hear the little guy stirring and it's about time for him to eat again. Then poop again. Then sleep again. It's wonderfully disgusting, and I wouldn't give him up for anything. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well, I am named Mike Snider. I'm actually named Robin Michael Snider, but I have been called Mike since day 1 (literally). I'm getting close to being 30, and I live with my wife, Sarah, in Denver, Colorado, of which I am a native. Sarah is a brilliant therapist who works with wee little ones, and I pretend to be a brilliant guitarmaker and woodworker. I've been playing guitar since I was 10 or 11, at which point I started taking them apart as well. I got lucky and got a job at a music store when I was in high school making minimum wage, and learned to do setups and a few repairs, as well as sweep and vacuum. I worked various jobs after that for the next several years, like ATM tech, "purchasing expediter" at a mail-order pharmacy, and activist sorts of things. I finally figured out that building guitars might be something I'd enjoy, so I started reading as much as I could, took an intro to woodworking class, and got an apprenticeship with an electric guitar builder nearby. I also got a job at a furniture restoration shop, where I worked for the last 3 or 4 years. Later I worked for another luthier doing repairs, took Robbie O'Brien's steel string class at Red Rocks a few times, became his TA, and was then asked to start an electric guitar program at the school. I've been teaching that class for 3 semesters now, taking other woodworking classes, selling a couple guitars, working on a new DVD with Robbie, and it's all a blast. bliss

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh." The Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Don
Last Name: Atwood
City: Arlington
State: Virginia
Howdy to all of those who don't me.

I am 52 and have been married to Cindy for almost 8 years. We have no kids, but our 2 dogs and 2 cats would probably disagree.

I work for the federal government. I am an entomologist with the Biological and Economic Analysis Division of the Office of Pesticide Programs of the Environmental Protection Agency. My job is to evaluate the benefits associated with insecticide use, the validity of Emergency Exemptions requested by the States, and to provide use and usage information to the other Divisions in development of their risk assessments. The last few years were a real killer as we under the gun to revisit all pesticides used in food production as mandated by Congress (Food Quality Protection Act). Believe it or not, I work hard at my job as I respect the fact that you folks are paying my salary and you, the farmers, and the environment deserve no less.

I received my BS and MS from Texas A&M University and my PhD from University of Arkansas. I have also held positions with both the Texas Agricultural Extension Service and the Arkansas Cooperative Extension Service. My original area of expertise was in medical/veterinary entomology. However, over the past 10 years I have worked on almost all field and specialty crops grown in the US. I will remain as an analyst for the duration of my career as I'm not lazy enough or politically correct enough to go for the big managerial dollars (though a Sr. Scientist position would be nice).

I began playing guitar in 1965. As I grew up in a very small town in West Texas (Kermit) with few guitar players, I taught myself to play on a Wards Airline guitar from song books, Mel Bay instructions, and playing along with records. I began guitar building in 2003 after suffering GAS and spending way to much money on buying guitars. I still blame it on our own John Hall and the first kit that he sold me. However, the day job and health issues have really put a cramp on my building over the last 3 years. Having one shoulder go south wasn't enough so I decided to see what it would be like to have 2 bum shoulders at the same time. Power tools are scary when things aren't functioning properly and hand tools are painful. I'm hoping to be able to start again in earnest sometime this summer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:31 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Hello all. My name is Ben Pak. I am very new to this forum having just discovering it a couple weeks ago. I have been lurking here since then, but this seems like the perfect opportunity to introduce myself.

I am 43 years old. I live in North Wales, Pa. which is about 15 miles outside Philadelphia. I am a Construction Inspector for the school district. I have been married for almost 3 years. I have 2 step-sons ages 23 and 18.

I have been playing guitar for 30+ years. I have taken lessons on occasions throughout that time including studying classical guitar for 2 years (I wish I had stuck with it). I can now say my skill level is so so.

I have thought about building a guitar for years. Initially I was interested in building electrics (I used to pour over the old Carver catalogs). As I aged my tastes have changed to acoustic and classical guitars exclusively. About a year ago I finally got the nerve to plunk down my money on a stewmac 000 kit. I am now spraying the laquer, so I'm almost finished #1! I made a lot of mistakes on this project and I'm looking foward to starting #2 to try and redeem myself. All I can say is "I'm hooked"! I feel fortunate to have found this forum as there seems to be a wealth of information I will be able to tap into to help improve my skills. So I'd like to say thank you all in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Welcome, Ben, good to have you here.
bliss bliss

Ron

Ron Wisdom

Somewhere in the middle of Arkansas......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:40 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hello, I'm Sam, and I am addicted to wood....

34 years old, married for 12 years ( eek :shock: ), 3 kids, 'bin building guitars for 2 years, still a relative baby in this wonderful craft.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Stephen
Last Name: Ziegenfuss
City: Jackson
State: MI
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Hello,

My name is Stephen Ziegenfuss and I am a 24 yr. old mechanical engineer for a small prototyping company that does work primarily through SBIR's for the Navy, SOCOM, etc...I work primarly has a hydromechanical engineer, but recently have been learning control systems in an effort to make myself more valuable to my company and to fill in some of the holes we have. Our large contracts deal primarily with autonomous station keeping buoys for oceanic deployment, but we have developed and are developing a whole host of other sensor systems and platforms.

I grew up in northeastern PA, a couple of towns over from the Martin factory in Nazareth. I built my first bass guitar in high school, but switched to other hobbies in between then and now. When I moved to Jackson, MI to take this job, I met Lance Kragenbrink's dad, who introduced us, and led to my ever growing passion for building.

I have always loved wood, and spent a great deal of time in college designing and building cedar strip racing boats (they ran on solar power) that I raced with a team of great guys both nationally and internationally. We have even had the honor of being called the intercollegiate world champions in solar electric boat racing...

Aside from all of that, I am married to the most amazing woman I know - as she can put up with, my college sweetheart Paula. She is the greatest and is totally OK with my passion for guitar building - as long as my passion for her stays first and foremost...

Anyway, I greatly enjoy this place, and have learned so much...

Thanks!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:41 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Glen Herman here, also know as "Master-Lurker" from Tyler, Texas, 46. I've been at this forum daily since Lance started it, so I feel somehow that I know each of you even if you don't know me. I've built 11, been to Healdsburg GF twice and started in 2000. I am educated in chemistry, but work in the engineering department at a large manufacturing company as a computer programmer. I've done this since 1994. I've got two sons, 18 and 14 and a very durable wife who's put up with me much longer than I deserve.

Anyhow, I'll take this time also to thank all of you for your help over the years.

Glen H

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I'm Craig Losekamp, and live in Bowling Green Kentucky. My wife and I came here for the opportunity to have a farm and horses. I'm a Family Physician, and my wife takes care of the ever expanding herd of critters. We have two daughters ages 9 and 11 who are awesome and very independent minded. Neither has ever actually turned on a TV (I kid you not!) It doesnt hurt that we live so far out that we only get 3 stations anyway.
I've been building guitars for a couple of years and have the next three all planned out. I hope to eventually sell them, and when I retire from medicine become a full time luthier. As I'm only 38, I still have some time before that great day.
My wife was the original woodworker in the family, but she's not musically oriented. She gives me a tremendous amount of encouragement and support. I've known her since she was 17 and we've been married almost 16 years. She's amazing and a boundless source of energy.
We have an insane number of pets. I like to list them because it's just so weird it entertains me. The inventory:
4 dogs, 2 cats, 1 Sun Conure, 1 Green Cheeked Conure (these are small parrots), 1 Orange Wing Amazon Parrot, 2 Cockatiels, 6 Parakeets, 3 rabbits (one of them English Angora), 3 horses (one is a retired Thoroughbred Racehorse), 3 Tennessee Fainting Goats, 2 Boer Goats, 1 Pygmy Goat, 2 ducks and more free ranging chickens than I can actually keep track of. The chickens are all varieties, such as Silkies, Frizzles and Polish. They lay green, brown, orange and white eggs. A year or two ago we decorated 48 eggs for Easter and really didn't have to dye many of them.
If bird flu comes to the States, I guess that I'll be the first to know. Actually the birds are fascinating, and the parrots are incredible. It is stunning how smart and affectionate the parrots are. They require a ton of dedication though, as they may very well outlive me. Fortunately my girls love them and will be happy to have them in that case.
I enjoy the OLF greatly and learn from it daily. Luthery addiction is an incurable disease, but one that needs no remedy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:30 am 
Koa
Koa

OK, so its my turn , now.

I finally got through reading all the other posts. NO, actually, I lie. I skipped ahead to the end. All interesting, but I can't afford the time right now, and I've been reading them for days!

Doug Ingram, 45. Married to the same wife for going on 20 years. Has anyone else noticed how many entries in this thread start by acknowledging our wonderful wives? (collective plural!) She keeps calling me a dirty old man, I tell her that I'm not THAT old.

3 kids, a son turning 18 (retired competitive swimmer) daughter just turned 13 (voice and figure skating) daughter turning 10 (retiring from viola and horse crazy equestrian in training). God kids, all, but its SO much work to get them there.

Played guitar off and on since I was a kid. I was a victim of a very poor and painful student guitar, uninspiring teaching, and parents who just assumed that I practiced. I always wanted to get an electric guitar back then, still do, and still don't have one. So I build classicals. Go figure.

I'm a Fine Arts grad, focused on paining. Also studied stone sculpture, photography, printmaking, etc. I also have a B.Ed specializing in secondary art education. So that's why I'm a professional canoe builder.

I build guitars in my canoe shop. I take guitar building breaks when most people would take coffee breaks, seeing as I don't drink coffee...when I get enough accumulation of parts, I get obsessed and finish a guitar.

I'm including a couple of photos. One showing the fruits of my day job, canoe & paddles. The other showing a painting from last year, its 32" x 64"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:44 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I'm 44, married with 3 kids.

I'm a CPA, and this is a crazy time of year, which is why it took me awhile to respond to this thread.

I've had a guitar addiction for the last 32 years. I had always wanted to build one so I built my first about 7 or 8 years ago (Frank Finocchio class). I've now completed 5 with more on the bench.

I like all kinds of music but primarily instrumental guitar music from classical to jazz to rock and blues. I also like the mandolin and bought my first one last year.

I guess that's it for now - I need to go do another tax return. Plan to get back to the workbench in about a month or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

Loved this thread from way back when. I'm now 59 and still building. My Newfoundland dog "Snug Harbour" helps me with my builds! Still building industrial, mostly oil and gas facilities. How about some of the new and older guys do an update!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:51 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Kenny
Last Name: Hilliard
City: Hermitage
State: Tennessee
Zip/Postal Code: 37076
Hey everyone! I'm Kenny and 35. I live in Nashville Tn. Been married for 12 years to a woman I don't deserve and have three wonderful kids.

I'm a trained and published Old Testament scholar (have taught at both undergraduate and graduate levels at three institutions), and a worship pastor. My wife and I are currently music teachers and songwriters here in Nashvegas.

I have done guitar and instrument repair for our music business going on five years. I also used to build guitars for Gibson USA. I built thousands of mediocre and custom mediocre electrics!!! All kidding aside, I'm building my first acoustic with much fear and trepidation. Custom electrics seem so simple compared to putting together an acoustic box, but my heart is with acoustics, so I've got to learn.

Thanks for letting me be part of the crew. I'm sure I'll be picking brains before too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kennyhilliardiii on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Kennyhilliardiii for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:17 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:11 am 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: Ball
I'm Dave. I'm 63 and have been building instruments since the mid 1970s. I grew up in Nashville, moved to Knoxville in 73 and to the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina when I retired in 2018. I've been married to the same wife for 43 years. We have one son, who lives in Richmond VA and plays a lot better than I do. I had been an IT professional since 1980. Engineer, project manager, administrator--pretty much the gambit.

Started out building dulcimers, then started in on guitars and banjos. I went to Charles Fox's Earthworks school, and worked as a repairman/music store manager for a time while playing gigs 7 nights a week on banjo. I designed and built vacuum tube theremins and resonator ukuleles (spun my own cones since you couldn't buy uke cones in those days) in the 1990s, and then started building custom banjos in the 2000s. After retirement and the COVID lockdown, I didn't have all of my shop moved from Knoxville to NC yet, and didn't have a few machines critical for building banjos (like my big lathe), so got back to building guitars. It's been a fun trip.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:26 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ken
Last Name: Nagy
City: Goodrich
State: MI
I'm Ken. I'm 65 and have been married for 43 years as well. We both grew up in Detroit, and like many moved to the suburbs. We've lived outside the suburbs now for 28 years, and don't miss the city. We have two daughters, one just got engaged, the other is married with 4 boys, and a son who lives in Chicago.

I was a CNC machinist until I retired in 2019. We programmed, set-up, and ran every job. Some production, and sometimes making emergency parts when things went wrong. The last shop we made dies in a forging shop for AAM. My Subaru probably has our forgings in the Linamar transmission. I've always liked music, but listening to it, and playing clarinet in the band through 8th grade was the only way it impacted my life. I started listening to classical music, when Detroit had a classical station, after the lyrics of songs started bothering me. I couldn't sing along. I can whistle along, note to note to Shostakovich #5 without any problems.

I decided to make a clarinet, figured out the bore perturbs, and tone hole sizes, and changed to a wooden flute when I found I had no way to make the clarinet. I could play the one flute I made, but my daughter who played flute in the High School band couldn't get anything out of it. I switched to making violins around 2007. I thought of guitars, but there seemed to be a lot of guitar makers, and they were just flat pieces of wood with ribs glued on; violins were carved! Not knowing anything, I made a few. I found a forum, and started getting better at it, but my finish work isn't that good. I don't have the eyes for the detail stuff. And I think that I'm always wanting to finish to get on with the next thing.

I'd be a good matchup with someone who likes the finish parts of instrument making, but thinks that the rough work is boring.

I found Christian music around the same time I started making instruments for fun. I also found that MOST of the songs that I liked back in the day were mostly talking about God, and the end times. I was never into the sex and drugs stuff, even though that was what dominated the scene. Yes, ELP, Triumph, Kansas, Spirit, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, Frank Marino; those kinds of bands. Even Alice Cooper talked about fighting the devil, and sending him back to hell.

I made a blog on violin making, even though I only built a half dozen or so. Turns out, it was only to get me ready to start a daily devotional blog the next year. I've been writing it every morning for 9 years now. So that's what I do until we have dinner at 1 or so. That's a habit we got into since I worked from 3-11pm for many years. My afternoons are making guitars or violins, and working outside when the weather is good. I like to make different models. Many have been made just from my ideas, or from photos, or combos of two different designs. I like different. For the most part, violin makers/players do not embrace different.

Yesterday the basement was cold, so I went on the dining room table, and drew up a small asymmetrical arch top, with the bass side profile the same shape as the Staufer I'm making, and the treble side shorter, making a cutaway, that is profiled like a Stauffer Terz that has a really skinny, tight waist on the treble side. Maybe I'll build it. The inspiration was some small dimensioned wood I saw, so it is a baby; only about 20 X 14 inches.

I like making guitars more now because I can sort of play them!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Me - Colin 71 1/2 yo, retired from the oil patch nearly 7 years ago,.
Married, and a long suffering wife, 2 grown up daughters who live far away.
Been building guitars about 10 years (keeps me out of the pool halls)
My hobbies are collecting wood for guitars + all those tool I need for guitars, and moderate Wine and Scotch consumption. (mostly separately)
Got to go, another 6 sets + a heap of German spruce just arrived......

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

Last edited by Colin North on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:59 am 
Koa
Koa

Last Name: Ball
Ken Nagy wrote:
I'm Ken. I'm 65 and have been married for 43 years as well. We both grew up in Detroit, and like many moved to the suburbs.

I'm originally from Bad Axe, and my wife is from Lansing. Both of our families were from Tennessee, and we both moved south when we were young...

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next