It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

Dennis,
I think both table really provide you with a good bit of info to work with (after all these are all general propertise, not something you want to take as absolutes). Woods that generally have high shrinkage values in the tangential would be wise to opt for quarter, even if the green to overdry are not going to be spot on they will be fair indicators. If you see a wide difference between radial and tangential it would make sense to opt for as much uniformity as possible. One constant though will be longtitudinal, which will always be slight compaired to cross grain (irregardless of whether it is more flat or quarter). I would imagine that would be a first consideration, as a body will always be longer than wide. Either way I like to rely on how the wood reacts when I work with it and how it reacts after it has been stored for a while. First hand feedback is always the best way to get a better feel for these things, before I decide to use it or not.

I don't think I have ever mentioned chapter 12 before (actually I usually am more of a reader, than poster), you must have been chatting with someone else about this before.

Peace,Rich