Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:32 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Probably the worst thing I've done (involving guitars) is leaving a Gibson L2 (my wifes grandfathers guitar, now mine) hanging on a hook in my shop. I'd been doing this for several months, because I liked to play it and the humidity in
the shop is always right. Well the wife decided to sweep the wood chips up in the shop and, you guessed it, she snagged
it with the broom handle and down it went to the concrete. I nearly cried, family heirloom and all. That was about 2 years ago and I haven't played it since. I could have blamed her but it was all my fault. No more hanging guitars. By the way this one is coming with me to David Collins shop tomorrow for the Ann Arbor get together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:11 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

jsimpson wrote:
Forgot to line my mold with some short pieces of wax paper at the neck/tail block area. Proceeded to glue the blocks in, clamped it all down, went to bed. Woke up in the morning to find the body securely glued to the mold. [headwall]

Lucky for me a couple short whacks with a fretting hammer loosened it all up!

That's what I get for having a TV in the workshop, I guess! Distractions, distractions....sheesh, I better not start leaving my SHINY tools just laying around, either! laughing6-hehe

Get you some .005" UHMW pressure sensitive film McMaster Carr#85655K12 or Teflon pressure sensitive film #8569K16 and line your molds with it . Only makes .01" difference in the space inside your mold (you will never notice) and will save you headaches over and over again. I prefer the UHMW but it comes in 24" wide the Teflon is available in 6" wide. The both run about $1.26 per foot and are worth it to my point of view.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Mayes
City: Norman
State: OK
Focus: Build
My latest goof was...

I was eating dinner with my wife Jenn, and she asked if she was about the same size as another lady in the restaurant, and I said "yeah about the same size". I now realize women just want to be lied to.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:28 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bill
Last Name: Greene
City: Kings Mountain
State: North Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 28086
John Mayes wrote:
My latest goof was...

I was eating dinner with my wife Jenn, and she asked if she was about the same size as another lady in the restaurant, and I said "yeah about the same size". I now realize women just want to be lied to.

Now you see, that isn't a "goof", that's just "not real bright". laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:49 pm 
Koa
Koa

Went to fill up the humidifiers before I left for work and a 6"x18" piece of plywood falls onto my Walnut/Cedar box that is waiting for binding cut. :shock: The plywood is from the FW jigs I'm building to cut the binding channels for that box. It was on its side but the plywood took off a chunk of the top about the size of a dime and half the thickness of the top. Good think this is my practice/test box, so i can still battle through with it and use it to test processes. Its the bottom of the barrel zoot. So in the end no big loss, but still a "You have got to be f... kidding me" moment. [headinwall] idunno [headinwall] gaah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

My latest goof wasnt so goofy, so much as stupid - I was in the shop, and my mind was distracted with another matter, I was fuming about something while trimming some wood up on the bandsaw, and I got bitten!
Thankfully it was only a nick, but it reenforced the notion that Ive heard many many times here on the forum - get centered and concentrate on the task at hand!!!
Otherwise you might not have a hand to have a task at!
Cheers
Charlie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I once closed a box (top and back to sides) with the three sets of spreaders in!

Lucky for me, I was able to get them out through the soundhole, although this was not on the requirements list when I designed them in the first place...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
John Mayes wrote:
My latest goof was...

John, I've been there. Now, my first thought before I stick my foot in it is, "what does she WANT to hear?"

We're both happier now. [:Y:]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Today my 4" sound hole changed to 4.25". I was in rosette mode and measured the bit to the wrong side of the line. :|

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:07 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have been having a nightmare binding a malaysian blakwood/redwood guitar i staryed ages ago.
first of all i messed up the side profile (my first attempt at this shape guitar) and put a realy sharp curve on the back at the waist.
when i came to route the the channels (another new method for me i usualy cut my channels by hand) the curve was so much that my channel was severly undercut into the kerfing.
i filled this with veneer and started fitting my rio rosewood bindings.
i had some bloodwood purflings to use but i forgot to glue them to the bindings so i had to put the side purflings in by making a thin channel and applying the purling as you would a binding.
eventualy i got this done and it looked quite nice.
now when i went to fit the bindings the back bindings would not fit becouse of the side profile. it just kept twisting so either i could have a huge gap at the top or at the bottom becouse the strip kept twisting as i tried to fit the binding on the upper bout.
i have now cut off the binding at the upper bout and intent to scarfe in another strip at this point but i am so pee'd off that cant even look at the look at the guitar now.
it just seems to not want to work for me this one.
i cant even strip it and start again becouse of the dang purfling channel [headinwall] [headinwall] .

To top all this off i got come cynoacrolate on tje top and it has stained it i think i will have to do a mild sunburst now to hide the stain.

oh well i am sur i will sort it but sometimes you have to make these fatal mistakes to be able to move on in this art.

by the way does anyone have a good method for fitting wooden purflings otjer that glueing them to the binding
strip.

What have learned from all this allways check that your side profiles work before commiting to the job.

Allway glue wooden purflings to the bindings before they are bent.

And i prefer cutting binding channels by hand (its much quicker and neater that way.

Also cynoacrolate and redwood dont mix.

This h.s got to be the most problematic guitar i have built.

All this and the top is so over braced it has no life to it at all.
Its a real shame i think this guitar is going to be a real pig.

my current epiphone cortez ( mad rose/alpine spruce and snakewood)is going without a hitch go figure.

joel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:02 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I decided that I wanted to build a guitar and a mandolin and I thought that I would save money by building my own rather than buying my dream instruments.

I was wrong about the second part.

duh laughing6-hehe

GregH
Fot Wuth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Don't Ask ! !

[headinwall]

gaah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joel,

Can you post some photos of the problem back waist area and the curves there? Also what are you using to cut the binding channels? You are welcome to come over to me and we can use my adaptation of the F-W binding jig to cut new binding/purfling channels. I'm sure there is a workable solution.

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:43 pm 
Koa
Koa

James Orr wrote:
Today my 4" sound hole changed to 4.25". I was in rosette mode and measured the bit to the wrong side of the line. :|

If you haven't already done one, it sounds like the perfect opportunity to bind your first sound hole. And then it was a "planned" addition. :D

Chansen / C hansen / C. Hansen / Christian Hansen - not a handle.

Christian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

That's actually a really good idea, Christian. I'm not sure my bending ability is quite there yet. The fit would need to be perfect. I could also cut an 1/8" wide ring to glue in place. Though I think the overall look would be too weighted.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:00 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

There was this neck, see, with a trimmed fingerboard in place and excess mahogany on the edges. I had a router set up with a template bit, and figure 'sure, trim off the excess, it'll save me about 2 minutes compared to using a rasp'. Then - it was late, I was too tired to be operating power tools - in the midding of routing, I decided it was better to hold the router square to the face of the neck instead of flush to the edge of the fingerboard. Result: nice chunk out of the side of the neck. Ouch.

At the end of the day it was still salvagable, hardly anything there post-carving, and the rest was fixable invisibly with scraps of ebony (gotta love ebony) and hot hide glue (gotta love that too). A few minutes with some artists ink when I get around to finishing and it should be completely invisible.

Still, had to put it down, walk away, and do something else for a while. Like work on the pointy left handed shred electric that's gone (so far, knock wood) pretty much perfectly, and when assembled should weigh in at around 6 lbs. Not bad for a mahogany instrument with a double locking trem...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
I forgot to choke up on my bit when drilling the tie block on my bridge, and now it looks likes Swiss Cheeze on both sides, with random holes. I probably needed to make a new one anyway, since it was a little thinl Just hate to ruin a piece of BRW like that. [headinwall] [headinwall] wow7-eyes [uncle]

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
GregH wrote:
I decided that I wanted to build a guitar and a mandolin and I thought that I would save money by building my own rather than buying my dream instruments.

I was wrong about the second part.

duh laughing6-hehe

GregH
Fot Wuth

Greg, I thought the same thing.......I have an Alverez plywood six string that I've been playing for years. I've always wanted a Martin HD28. Last fall I had a few extra bucks and went to every music store playing all the Martins I could find. Then one fateful day I was browsing around on LMI and got to playing around with their "Kit Wizard." Next thing I know, the money I had saved for the Martin was now in the hands of LMI. I don't know if I have spent as much as the new guitar cost but it's darn close, and still with no guitar....that I can play yet. Anyway, in the long run I think I'll make out better, cause I've been bit hard by the Zoot Bug. Hopefully I'll be making guitars for years.
Oh, I've made lots of mistakes on this first one. Nothing that has made me throw it in the burning pile but every little mistake I learn from. I started writing down each step and screw up so I'll do better next time. There are so many steps in guitar making and one directly effects the next step. It just doesn't work when you get out of step and try to do something you should have waited to do later, cause now you have to try to work around something you messed up.

I just read all this mess I've wrote and it don't even make since to me. I just woke up, I'm going to go get more coffee..... I always ramble on when I first wake up....blah...blah...blah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

I decided to go all the way through on the sides for the top braces. Just eyeballed it. I think I need glasses. Thats whats still holding up my first one.Total disaster. You cant have a 'do it now or die' attitiude in this until you know the ropes.

From now on I will kerf to the brace and cut it, then glue it in, then add a kerf to the top of the brace, like Cumpliano does. Back and top will be kerfed in before glue up. Live and learn (and wait)

Im also using Martin necks so I can build the box and get these going, at least on the first few.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:15 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Vincent
Last Name: Simokovich
City: Parma
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 44134
I was anxious to get the back on my first one attached to the rim, so I started to cut the notches for the brace pockets. It was approaching 2 a.m. Sunday morning when I finished cutting the pockets, so it was time to go to sleep and come back with a fresh mind and a fresh set of eyes. Sunday afternoon I finished the last pocket and placed the braced back on the rim and everything fit perfectly, but the back didn't seem to arch the way I thought it should and I couldn't figure out why. Then it dawned on me that I cut the brace pockets for the back on the top of the rim. [headinwall]

Vince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

Okay picture this scenario. Youre half way through gluing up bindings and you stab yourself with a scalpel. What do you do? 1. rush off and try and find the band aids while the glue goes hard or 2. wrap a rag around the finger and carry on with the glue up trying your best to keep the sopurts of blood off the spruce top?

Wouldnt have been so bad if it wasnt the same finger I stuck the paring chisel through 2 days earlier oops_sign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You sound like me. Scary Sharp has a whole new meaning in my shop. My Band-Aid and New Skin bill has doubled. gaah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:52 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lillian
Last Name: Fuller-Watson
State: WA
kiwigeo wrote:
Okay picture this scenario. Youre half way through gluing up bindings and you stab yourself with a scalpel. What do you do? 1. rush off and try and find the band aids while the glue goes hard or 2. wrap a rag around the finger and carry on with the glue up trying your best to keep the sopurts of blood off the spruce top?

Wouldnt have been so bad if it wasnt the same finger I stuck the paring chisel through 2 days earlier oops_sign

Maybe its just me, but I can't see where a scalpel would be a good tool choice to spread glue with. Hope you give your finger a chance to heal.

Oh, peroxide helps get blood out of things if it is still fresh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

James Orr wrote:
That's actually a really good idea, Christian. I'm not sure my bending ability is quite there yet. The fit would need to be perfect. I could also cut an 1/8" wide ring to glue in place. Though I think the overall look would be too weighted.

You don't have to make the ring 1/8" James, you could make the sound hole 4-1/8" Dia by adding a 1/16" ring, and bending that isn't to hard. You could also get some 0.030 fibre paper and double it up. If you use black it will be very hard to tell. You can try installing it with a thick balloon in the hole. Wipe the inside edge and around the soundhole with shellac, tack the fibre paper at one end with CA and let it curl around the inside of the sound hole. Blow up the balloon as tight as you can without popping it. Wick in thin CA around the edges of the top and the fibre paper. Let is sit for 1/2 hr and than do the second piece. You could also go thinner and do b/w/b, that might look cool.

James I've bound a sound hole because I cut it to big also. Here's a picture for you. The binding is EIR (easy to bend) and it is 0.090" wide.

Attachment:
Vinces guitar finished 006 (Small).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I had already posted my goof, but thought a couple of pictures would bring out the details. It is amazing how much a little drill can drift in 10 mm of rosewood. Here is the drill side. Not great, but I might have let it go. Once strings were in the holes, it probably wouldn't have been very noticeable.
Attachment:
P1000685 (Large).JPG

However, the other end of the block was a different story.
Attachment:
P1000686 (Large).JPG
. Unacceptable.
The piece the old bridge is leaning against is the new bridge blank.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.