Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello everyone...I'm looking for some advice as I'm about to start shopping for my spray setup (flags to set my garden shed/spray booth on arrived today! :D ) All the finishing I've done up to now has been using a DeVilbiss gun in a professional spray booth, and because of that I know little about the ins and outs of all the kit required. I'm hoping someone here does [:Y:]

First of all, I'm looking for someone to walk me through, from compressor to gun all the separate bits of kit required. Then I'd be looking for some advice on specifications to look out for when purchasing these items. Finally any specific product recommendations would be great (and any other gems of info you've got to offer!)
I must stress, I'm not looking to skimp on this kit as I'm hoping it can last me a lifetime with decent maintenance.

Thanks all :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:29 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

While you can get some really nice comp/ and guns you will need dryer and filtration also. If you go with a compressed air system I suggest it be totally independent of you shop compressed air system for best results.

Personally after having gone through this a couple time I decided to eliminate my shop compressor form my finish application and bought 4 stage turbine HVLP system from Fuji. After some 4 months with this system I realize I should have done this years ago and would have saved my self a lot of money. I am guessing I am saving over 15% finish media I was using with a compressed air system This adds up quick. Plus they are easier to maintain.

You can get by with 3 stage turbine with Nitro and most other finishes. However 4 stage give better air filtering and control. I use far less media than on my compressed air system and get better results. Don't get fooled into thinking one of the singe stage $99 units will work. They are great for fence painting but not so hot with Nitro or other media.

I highly suggest you check into a 3 or 4 stage turbine HVLP system before you spend a 1K on a quality compressed air system. I promise you will not regret it

Also it has a mega smaller energy consumption than a 5 or 6hp compressor and a mega smaller foot print as well

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:59 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

That Fuji Q4 looks beautiful! Around £540 from UK suppliers it seems.
Exactly how low is low when it comes to HVLP? As far as I knew the gun I've been using previously was an HVLP unit, so what advantages do these turbine systems have over a normal compressor and a regulator, feeding a quality gun?

Another question - what exactly is an aircap, and what do the quoted mm measurements correspond to?

Thanks so far guys! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:30 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I recently bought the Fuji Mini-Mite HVLP system, and I love it. The blower unit is 3 stage, but suits my purposes just fine.( I mostly spray water -based lacquer eek ) . The cap that came with the gun (#4- I believe 1.3mm) was too coarse for what I do, and I got the #3 set (which I believe is 0.9mm) and it is perfect. The non-bleeder gun is a big plus. The only downside I see to HVLP is the 3/4" hose, which can be a little awkward, and the noise, which is less a problem with the higher priced units. The only advantage I see to a compressed air system is that the fact that compressed air can be used for other things, such as running tools and pumping up tires.

The smaller the aircap opening, the finer atomization you will get. You want a large aircap for spraying latex wall paint, for example.

In Markham,Virginia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Jammy,

I've had the Fuji Q3 system for a couple of years now and love it.

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm convinced! These little units look like just the thing.
So the only difference between the two fuji 4-stage units is the sound deadening?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:21 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Just thought I'd bump this and thank everyone who offered advice [:Y:]

My Q4 system arrived a couple of days ago, and though I've not yet had a chance to use it, it looks like a quality bit of kit. I also got it for a bargain price, so I'm more than happy! :D

Thanks again guys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:36 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

jammy wrote:
Just thought I'd bump this and thank everyone who offered advice [:Y:]

My Q4 system arrived a couple of days ago, and though I've not yet had a chance to use it, it looks like a quality bit of kit. I also got it for a bargain price, so I'm more than happy! :D

Thanks again guys

[:Y:] way to go you will be so glad you whent with the Q4 over a compressed air system [clap]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I am happy with my small HVLP conversion gun powered by a 2hp air compressor which keeps up fine. I have heard that the conversion guns actually atomize finishes a little bit better than the turbine guns. What would be the benefit of a turbine system over the conversion setup?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

I've got both compressed and HVLP sytems. I own two 4 stage HVLP rigs, and they're great. One for my painting business, and one for my guitar shop. Mine aren't as quiet as the Q4's methinks.... Kinda as loud as my Craftsman shop vac