It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Suspended Bracing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I had a distributor call me the other day wanting to tell me about a new line of guitars he was working with. I'd never considered suspended bracing so I wanted to at least see some info. Check this out. As a wanna be builder, I see what they are saying, but I don't see these guitars standing the test of time. It is unique if nothing else. I do think that I'll see if they can send me a demo instrument so I can poke around.

http://www.bouldercreekguitars.com/sbs2.html

Post subject: Re: Suspended Bracing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:58 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe I am sure this builder spent a lot of time designing the newest thing since the Clapamatic and has carved a nice niche for himself. laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Excuse me while I shake the Capet fibers off. You see I have been rolling on the floor since I opened the link laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

Aluminum tube tone bars laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

No comment on the design intended laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:39 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Michael it sounds like you really like this design.......... :D gaah :D Image

My initial impression was what would Howard say when he reads the pop-up text when you click on the white spots....... Very subjective claims was my impression.

But I don't want to put this design or anyone down - it might sound great. Remember the Bird Fish electric guitar - interchangeable wooden tone bars?

I also wonder how the TSA folks will feel the first time they X-ray one of these at an airport.........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:55 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

The design may very well work but I have to say laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe it is funny looking at the very least eek

Bolder guitars please know Iam not laughing at you design. Well............maybe a little laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe just cause it looks so dang funny laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

Is this the same concept as "notched braces" as featured by an article on Hauser Guitars in the January issue of Acoustic Guitar. If so, seems it would have some merit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Since you were approached by a distributor about this, I assume you run a store? If so, the questions I would be concerned with are; a) will it sell?, and b) if they don't sell, how much of a loss will it put me at?

I doubt they have much of a sales history to go on, so the "will it sell" question is probably mostly gut feeling. My gut feeling is not too great, as the market is full of innovative mid level guitars from Garrison to Babicz to who knows how many others. Not a market I would want to bet much money on right now, unless you're a high risk investor.

So on to question b, what's the risk for the dealer? If you had to buy a dozen or so instruments minimum, I would have little interest. If you can buy two or three, and the cost is low enough that you're sure you could at least blow them out at cost after they hang on the wall for a year, it probably wouldn't hurt. Or better yet, if the manufacturer is willing to hang a few on consignment until they prove their salability, why not? Or of course if you get a demo model and find it's a product you really believe in and are willing to promote, by all means get a few and give it your best shot.

I certainly have personal reservations on what I would expect, both in structural stability and tone, but haven't heard or worked on one so I can't really say.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I would like to hear one and poke at it, but I seriously doubt I'd be interested in carrying it. It just seems like it would be too fragile even if their claims are true. It just looked interesting and something you guys might like to see. The same sales rep thinks I should carry Estaban Amps so I'm begining to wonder about his sanity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have to applaud the ingenuity but I am extremely apprehensive about it working! We had a thread about this brace system a while ago! I think it got about the same response!

I'm suspicious about all the aluminum/carbon fiber/honeycomb/space guitar, weirdo crap but I'm really interested in seeing it, one never knows. It gives me ideas sometmes!

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

There are many ways to skin a cat. I'm skeptical about this as well, but open minded enough to at least try one out and evaluate it for myself.

I have concerns about how the aluminum is attached to the spruce top and how this will stand the test of time as the aluminum will expand and contract at different rates than the wood it is attached to. The way I see this is a variation of the bridge doctor which breedlove puts on all of their guitars. This one just happens to be metal and extends the whole length of the guitar.

Ken H

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I didn't want to wait around for the pop-up boxes to pop up on my dial-up connection, so I don't know the details. It looks as though the string tension and bridge torque are supposed to be taken up by the aluminum tube setup, and the top is left free to vibrate. The problem is that, unless I'm mistaken, the aluminum tubes setup is attached to the top, so you've got the mass and stiffnes of that to get going if you want to make sound. Given the density of metal compared to wood, and the need to have a minimum of stiffness in the tubes, I don't see how there can be much of a weight saving here. It's really scary sometimes to think about just how good the design of the guitar really is. It's awfully hard to improve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

There have been plenty of improvements in the guitar over the years but the guitar sound is pretty much regulated by materials and techniques, meaning that's what people are used too hearing.

The thing that really bothers me is when soembody goes to the trouble of building these things and it has no improvement over whats available, then tries to sell it, likely, because it's gitchey!

"It's cool looking, it's trendy, it sounds like crap!"

One advertising line I'd like to see!

I've driven all over the SoCal trying to find these "weirdos" and play them so I can know just what's up, and it's always disappointing! If I can find them!

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)