Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:27 am 
Koa
Koa

I'd like to order an Ameritage Small Jumbo case for my SJ guitar made from the OLF plans. Does anybody know how well it fits? The Ameritage dimensions sheet shows that their SJ case will fit a 16 3/4" lower bout. The lower bout of my SJ is 15 1/2". Seems like a pretty big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:37 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colby...Ameritage has a special model # for the OLF-SJ. If you call them, they should be able to help you.

Also, recently Anthony Z bought a TKL case in Canada that fit his new OLF-SJ like a glove. This case is significantly less expensive, yet strong and prosessional looking. He should be around to comment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:51 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

The Ameritage case # is AME-32OLF It was fitted explicitly for the OLFSJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:19 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colby, I don't know where the myth started that only a custom Ameritage case will work. The Ameritage Case is the way to go if you plan on travelling via air with your guitar. Downside is that it is a very bulky and heavy case for just storing or hauling your guitar in and out of a car.

Below are the three different TKL models of Case that will work for the OLF SJ. I purchased the TKL Elite 9116 and JJ is right it does fit nice and snug. TKL's Elite series is their best case and is double arched which makes it plenty strong. Kevin Ryan uses the Elite series cases. If you are having trouble reading the attachment, the TKL Case models that work are the 8816, 8916 and the 9116. I get mine from George Heinl & Co. http://www.georgeheinl.com/catalogue/index.cfm?categoryid=21&level1=3&level2=21here in Toronto which has the best prices I have seen for TKL cases. The fellow to contact is Gary Gougher. I am not sure whether their website lists the models I provided but I know he either has them in stock or can get them and they do ship for a reasonable charge.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:50 am 
Koa
Koa

Thanks for all the info guys!

Michael, I thought I remembered someone mentioning an Ameritage case that perfectly fit the SJ.

Anthony, thanks for the info on the TKL cases. It will come in handy. If not now in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:56 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

I thought I should mention Ameritage case number AME-32 is pretty much a Olson dimensioned SJ case it is 1/2" too long and 1/4" to wide in the lower bout. The Ameritage case number AME-32OLF is the same frame but with the internals padded to fit perfectly to my SJ which is the origin of the OLF-SJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colby, now you have JJ and I talking about each others cases... :lol: I have seen JJ's case which is the one Michael referenced. The fit is perfect!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Anthony Z wrote:
Colby, now you have JJ and I talking about each others cases... :lol: I have seen JJ's case which is the one Michael referenced. The fit is perfect!

I would get the TKL for half the price

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:26 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Me too - I have the TKL case, I think a middle model one down from Anthony's and the fit is perfect and the price is less then half of the Ameratage case.

But you do what you want my friend and I hope it does not sound like we are getting on your case....... :D [xx(] :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:30 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

JJ Donohue wrote:
Anthony Z wrote:

I would get the TKL for half the price

JJ no offence meant here at all Because I used TKL cases for a long time, but they are half the price for a reason. They are a good case but IMPO no where near the Ameritage. For some the Ameritage gold series may be over kill, but not to me. If you want a good case The TKL is fine. If you want a case worthy of a fine hand crafted instrument and don't mind spending the price, you cant beat the Ameritage out side of a Calton but that would be another near double increase in cost.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:37 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Michael my friend the TKL high-end cases, that I saw at uncle Bob's that Anthony brought, are every bit as nice IMHO as the Ameritage cases and not nearly as heavy either. I was very impressed with this case and Anthony also gave me one of these for an OM as a gift. It is now the best case that I have ever owned - I just wish that I had a guitar to put in it..... :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michael...You're right...the Ameritage case is very substantial. It even comes with a humidifier and a hygrometer. You can't go wrong for twice the price as a TKL. And they are very nicely personalized should you desire.

Talk to Kevin Ryan...his guitars don't come more high end than his...and he felt the TKL was good enough.

It's nice to have choices. Good luck Colby.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:55 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Hesh wrote:
Michael my friend the TKL high-end cases, that I saw at uncle Bob's that Anthony brought, are every bit as nice IMHO as the Ameritage cases and not nearly as heavy either. I was very impressed with this case and Anthony also gave me one of these for an OM as a gift. It is now the best case that I have ever owned - I just wish that I had a guitar to put in it..... :D

Yep I have used the upper end. They are fine case but just IMO they don't stack up. They are pretty much the same as a Cedar Creek top end customs and they are much lighter than the Ameritage but that lightens translates into protection. But like I said for many the Ameritage is over kill. Just personal preference.

Speaking of the weight of Ameritage has anyone bought the new gold series travel addition with the wheels and handle grip?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Michael, I am not trying to promote TKL cases just because that is what I use. I just feared that folk here will purchase Ameritage and incur the cost for the wrong reasons.

I can stand on the double arched Elite series TKL case and it doesn't buckle, mind you I am only 170 lbs. I have also seen the same case with guitar fall from a height of about 8 feet with no damage to the guitar.

No matter what case you use, when flying with the guitar you must make sure that the headstock is well packed. Even an Ameritage case will not totally safeguard against sudden shocks.

I just saw this past weekend an Ameritage case that had flown commercially. The handlers damaged the customized embroidery. So if I were going to go the full meal deal and get an Ameritage I would advocate getting the vinyl zipper on case as well. $$$$'s

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:31 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

Guys I am not knock the elite Tkl at all They are very good cases I just prefer and believe the support method of the Ameritage case is better shock protection that The TKL. If you notice the padding in the top of the Ameritage case along the perimeter of the body and above the neck saddles this coupled with the side and bottom padding on an Ameritage is what sells me. Really I'm not calling the TLK junk or any thing. I just base my opinion on the way the Ameritage is built.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:50 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Is the Ameritage considered to be a custom model for the OLF-SJ size? If so, what is the normal lead time?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:11 am 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

They are trying to keep a few AME-32OLF in stock for the OLF membership. These are their standard exterior and interior. If you want to spec out exterior and interior fabric, then you are looking at 8 to 10 weeks. Half up front and balance at delivery. Please don't ask the price as those of us that use them at luthier pricing are not allowed to say but give Nancy a email if interested

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If anyone finds that the lead time is too long, I'd be willing to sell mine for a 10% discount from their standard cost. Very lightly traveled.

PM me if interested.