All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Hello from new member!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
Hello! My name is Mike. I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while, mostly in the Archives section. I've built quite a few electric guitars, from aftermarket as well as used parts(necks and bodies as well). Some would say I assembled them, not built them. Whatever works for them. I would in no way call myself a builder. I've a good background in setups, having set up my own and other folks guitars for about 14 years, just recently starting to get paid for my work. I'm fairly skilled in all the basics of setup, such as nut and saddle work,fretwork, intonation, truss rod,etc., and love to make them play better!I would, however, still consider myself an amateur or beginner. I've still got a lot to learn, and the day I stop learning will hopefully be the same day I draw my last breath. So much to learn, and so little time! I believe I'm capable of building an electric from scratch, which will probably be my next step, as soon as my finances improve. I'm also anxious to begin a kit acoustic build(LMI) as soon as possible, but will most likely wait until next winter, since I don't have a way to control humidity just yet, and will have to wait to build at the appropriate time. I also need to tool up, learn a lot more, and save $$$. Until then I'll continue lurking here, posting only when I have questions or can add something positive to the discussion. Thank you in advance for all your help, and for facilitating my GAS/WAS.

Mike.

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Hi Mike and welcome to the OLF!! [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Welcome to the OLF, Mike. Great place it is!

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Welcome aboard Mike!

Hope you pick up a few good tricks here so you will be ready for the build when you get around to it.

Ken H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

Welcome! You have come to the right place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Fifield
City: San Jose
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95124
Hi Mike, welcome aboard the good ship OLF. [:Y:]

Got any pictures of your electrics? We love pictures.... :D

Cheers,
Dave F.

"There goes Mister Tic-Tac out the back with some bric-brac from the knick-knack rack"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Dave Fifield wrote:
Hi Mike, welcome aboard the good ship OLF. [:Y:]

Got any pictures of your electrics? We love pictures.... :D

Cheers,
Dave F.

Dave, sure do, but only of two of them. The rest were built before I became active on the 'net, or had a digital camera. They've since been given as gifts to relatives or friends.

Here's one I built from used parts. The bridge pickup is a Carvin C22B(great pickup!), the middle and neck pu's came from an old Washburn MG 70 that I upgraded with Duncans. Both good pu's for what they are, but I eventually need to wax pot the neck pu. The bridge is an old Fender style of indeterminate origin. I tend to be a pack rat and save every thing I can get my hands on. It laid in my parts box for years before I used it. The body is a used one that I bought at a local store, picking through a box full of old bodies to find it. It is alder, I'm fairly sure. It was black, but I sanded it down to bare wood, thinned it a little to reduce weight, stained it with a mix of mahogany and honey maple stain, with the back and sides painted brown. Neck is also used, from a Squier Affinity Strat.Plays really well, but the string spacing at the nut was a little narrow for me. Replaced it with a pre-slotted tusq nut in the standard strat spacing. Much better. Fender pots and , film cap, StewMac switch and Carvin jack. Good all around guitar that cost very little. Plays like a dream, and I can take it to places I wouldn't want to take a nicer guitar.

The one below is my favorite. No used parts on this one. StewMac body(finished), MightyMite neck, Seymour Duncan SH2 Jazz in the neck, SD JB4 in the bridge(hot rodded HB set) Grover mini tuners, Fender string trees, StewMac tortoise pickguard and pots, Fender 3 way switch, film cap and Switchcraft jack. StewMac vintage strat bridge. I absolutely LOVE this guitar! In fact, I sold a Gibson Les Paul because I no longer played it. This guitar is equal in every aspect of tone and playability. In fact, the tone of this guitar was so close to that of the LP, it was almost indistiguishable. The only difference is that this guitar has slightly more midrange and is slightly hotter. The SH2 Jazz is the finest sounding neck pickup I've ever heard. Nice, fat and warm without sacrificing clarity. The JB4 by itself leaves much to be desired. not the greatest bridge pu I've ever used, but somehow, when you mix these two pickups, the tone is great! They compliment each other well.
[img]Image[/img]

p.s.: I forgot to say Stew Mac rocks! And my photography(and camera) sux!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice looking guitars, Mike and welcome aboard. Some of us will be looking forward to your contributions when we are wearing our electro-hats!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks, JJ! Although I like electrics, I mainly play acoustic now, and am looking forward to begin building them. You 'll be hearing plenty from me on them in the future. I'll be looking forward to all your help. :D