PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:06 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Ressler
City: Sandwich
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60548
I need to purchase a fingerboard slotting blade. I see a variety of slot sizes - .023, .0245, .025. Which do you like and why? I remember seeing comments about the blade offered by Shane, but am not sure why you feel that is ideal.

I also see a wide swing in prices for blade stabalizers, from $20 to $100. Which stabalizers work best for you?

(been lurking for a while - finally decided to join!)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:10 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I like the blade that I got from shane as the frets are easy to install in the slots they cut.

I bought a set of stabilizers from woodcraft that are about 3" in diameter. If I can find a set that are 4" in diameter, I will buy them as the 3" set still can let the blade wander if it begins to overheat.

Ken H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
Ken, go look at these stabilizers. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=30075&cat=1,41080,41165&ap=1 The 5" should still give you clearance enough for fret slotting.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Lee Valley 5" stabilizers here...Shane's blade and the stabilizers have worked great over 4 FBs so far using ebony, BRW and Maple.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Also Shane's blade (original blade at 0.025") and the Lee Valley 5" stabilizers, leaves lots of room for slotting as the blade is 6" diameter.

I had a stew-mac blade and returned it. I had heard that the blade did not cut the kerf stated (0.023" I believe) and some frets went in to tightly. I didn't even open the package, just returned it and got Shane's and the Lee Valley stabilizers (which I can use on the diablo 7-1/4" blades too) which were less $ total than the stew-mac blade (but I have a Lee Valley close to me so I didn't have to pay shipping). I've only used it on on board and the kerf sure seems to hold the frets just fine. The board is ebony.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

Stewmac fixed that problem with their blade some time ago. I had bought one, and called to return or exchange and they confirmed that I had the new one. It works great, I use their frets and it worked great, frets seemed to go in just right in my limited experience with it. I'm sure Shane's works great, too, just wanted to throw that in the ring.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi all.

I would also be interested in Shane's blade, but where can I find Mr. Shane to get a blade from him?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Click up top on High Mountain Tonewoods.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Got it, thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've used the LMI blade and stabilizers for a couple of years and it's performed flawlessly.
Terry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
letseatpaste wrote:
Stewmac fixed that problem with their blade some time ago. I had bought one, and called to return or exchange and they confirmed that I had the new one. It works great, I use their frets and it worked great, frets seemed to go in just right in my limited experience with it. I'm sure Shane's works great, too, just wanted to throw that in the ring.

I had trouble with a Stew-mac blade cutting slots in ebony, using their fretwire, and had to really mash the fret tangs. I called them to find out if I had one of the old blades, but they said no. Shane's blade works better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: John
Last Name: Ressler
City: Sandwich
State: IL
Zip/Postal Code: 60548
Thanks for the feedback. I had purchased a Stewmac blade recently and it only cuts a .018 slot. They are still having problems with the blade and won't have any new ones for a couple of months. I liked it because it doesn't require stabalizers, but .018 is pretty tight.

John Ressler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
Alain Moisan wrote:
Hi all.

I would also be interested in Shane's blade, but where can I find Mr. Shane to get a blade from him?

Thanks!

Thanks Alain for asking that question, I was wondering the same thing. I'll just go up yonder to ole Shanes place and buy me a blade.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:08 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I never had any problem with my Stew-Mac blade, bought in 2002... I've cut more than 100 rosewood fretboard with it. I use the Stew-Mac fretwire and it always fits nicely, not too tight.

Marc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:13 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I have been using the LMI blade for a few years and it works good with the provided stabilizers. One problem I have is that it seems to heat up quickly and start smoking going through ebony fretboards. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jeremy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:59 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have the Lee Valley 5 inch blade stiffeners. They are the $20 ones. They seem to work well but they don't support the blade over the entire surface area of the stiffener, just at the inner and outer edges. Lee Valley also sells a WoodWorker stabilizer which a little more than double the money. I believe it is a machined steel plate and is probably similiar or identical to the LMI ones. They are probably a level better, but still I have not heard issues with the $20 ones.

As for burning, these blades are fairly fine tooth with virtually no kerf to clear the sawdust, so slow feed rates are a must on hard oily woods.

Shane

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Fifield
City: San Jose
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95124
This thread piqued my interest, so I just ran out to my workshop and measured the slots my recently purchased StewMac blade produces - they are all exactly 0.0230" on the nose. There's nothing wrong with this blade at all. To me, it seems like it's actually a better deal than buying thin blades with separate stabilizers from elsewhere.

I have not noticed any heat build-up or other difficulty running slots in ebony with the StewMac blade. The blade cuts very smoothly, leaving no tear-out or chip-out at the end of the cuts. So far, I love it [:Y:] .

Cheers,
Dave F.

"There goes Mister Tic-Tac out the back with some bric-brac from the knick-knack rack"