Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:51 am 
Koa
Koa

Do these shoes match this jacket? Just kidding. I am building an OM off of Michael Payne's plans, The constants are cocobolo rosette, coco binding, red eucalyptus b/s, sitka top. I purchased two of a couple different things because I knew I would be indecisive... and here we are. Basically I am going to be using a coco bridge, FB and headplate OR ebony for the same items. Any thoughts? Would it look odd to throw ebony in with what I currently have going? Thanks!
Christian

Chansen / C hansen / C. Hansen / Christian Hansen - not a handle.

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:06 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

So you're wondering if the bridge, fb and head-plate should match the bindings and rosette?

I think either would look good, but I think I would prefer the darker ebony to add a bit of contrast. You can always have an ebony fb and keep the coco headplate...

So to answer, I'd go with coco trim (bindings, rosette) and have an ebony bridge and fb with the coco headplate...or maybe not... Ha!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I think cocobolo for bridge and board with that back and side choice would be really nice, but a cocobolo rosette will be a little much of one thing. I would use the rosette to break it up and make it interesting. It doesn't have to be shell. A darker wood with black/blue/black purflings to the sides would look fantastic with the reddish brown of cocobolo. My advice would be to use the cocobolo bridge and board, then break it up with the rosette and and a black headstock veneer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:06 am 
Koa
Koa

Well I already have the rosette done... and the top all braced up. So backtracking that much would be a heart breaker. I like the rosette and bindings (both cocobolo) so my option is to risk have coco overkill, or breaking it up with the ebony FB, bridge and headplate. I bought one set of cocobolo and one set of ebony of the last three items I mentioned - so I'm just trying to nail down which to use. I don't know why I can't figure it out. Maybe it will be easier once the box is bound. Here is a pic of the rosette and b/s.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
That looks great, Christian.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Christian, there's nothing like actually laying the pieces you have in mind side-by-side. So your idea of seeing how it all works together once the box is bound is spot on. Just remember, that the ebony will look absolutely neutral. It will not compete with any other color/design scheme. I usually think that a busy fretboard looks best on some mild-mannered, unflashy back/sides. If you get three things vying for your attention, namely sides, binding, then the fretboard, it ends up being a bit of overkill. With a strong color statement in the ensemble, a bit of black to tone it all down just might be welcome. Plus, it will let that pretty rosette shine a bit better.

There's a couple of cents for ya.

Steve

http://www.stephenkinnaird.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ringo
It might look better, but you're sacrificing some tone by using an ebony bridge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bill
Last Name: Greene
City: Kings Mountain
State: North Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 28086
Focus: Build
I'm with Todd on this one. I'm one of those people who've stopped thinking that the fb and bridge must match. Plus, I've seen some folks laminate their bridges to get a great contrast with various carves, and it looks fantastic. I say go with what moves you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

I'd decide on the bridge based on tone, the fb based on tone and weight, and then worry about appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thanks for the input guys! Sorry about posting the question without much visual to go by - I will wait a bit until I get the binding on and then decide. I guess it doesn't matter though if the FB isn't the same as the bridge as you guys have noted. I think I would rather go for tone in the end... that's what it should be about I suppose.

Christian