Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Andy
Last Name: Zimmerman
City: San Diego
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92103
Focus: Build
A question for all of you experienced travelers. My current guitar under construction will be delivered in person
in Oakland. I will be flying up there from San Diego. Since it comes with a custom Ameritage case, there is no way to bring it on the plane. (Too big - SJ case)
Would it be better to check it, in the case as is, or box it up as if I was shipping it and check it in.
How would I best get this guitar there. I don't want to ship it since it will be handled by more people.
My flight is non stop.

Any suggestions appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
See if you can gate check it. Then it only goes on the short loading/unloading conveyors at the plane rather than their whole system.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Walden
City: Bartlesville
State: Oklahoma
Zip/Postal Code: 74006
I realize that it may be expensive, but, try the Case Extreme ClamShell. Your Ameritage case goes inside and is supended by closed cell foam pieces. I have one that I travel with and have never had a problem...other than getting it in the car! :(

It is big. But it provides the needed isolation and damping.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:48 pm 
Andy I have recently flown three times in the last six months with my guitar and had good experiences so far. I flew with a Calton case which is definitely quite a bit oversized; probably similarly sized to your Ameritage.

On each of these flights at least one of the jets I was on was a smaller passenger type jet, and also on a bigger jet (don't know model names). On each flight I was there plenty early and spoke with the airline employee before they began boarding. I asked if it was okay to pre-board and they glady okayed my request.

The first flight I did indeed have to gate check it which turned out to be no biggie. The next time the flight attendant walked me down first and helped me put my case into the front closet of the plane. The other (connecting) flights I simply got on early and put it into the overhead bins.

I did not even need to pull out my Musicians Union photocopy. The Calton case is a loan from a good buddy, and on the last trip I didn't notice he left his string nippers inside the pocket. Luckily the good folks operating the X-Ray machine noticed it and wanted to check out my case. I kindly obliged and they pulled out the nippers. I figured they were going to confiscate 'em, but once they eyed it they put 'em back into the case for me. I asked if there was a size limitation for string cutters. They told me if they were longer than 7 inches (the cutting implements) they would be confiscated-jeez, I sure hope so!

Get there early, speak to the good folks and have a great trip. I'm sure your client will really be happy. BTW, is this a guitar you've posted images of before?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Andy
Last Name: Zimmerman
City: San Diego
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92103
Thanks
Andrew this is the guitar that Joe White has now...the walnut SJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I have done the gate drop off thing a couple of times and had no problems. The airline employees seem to understand the affection we have for our instruments and handle them accordingly. Mine were in just a regular guardian case without any outer shell.

Ken H