It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: spruce tops?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:03 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Can anyone tell me what the expected tone would be for red spruce vs. sitka vs. englemann? Which of the three would supposedly give your guitar the richest tone or is there another top wood for that? Thanks everyone.

Post subject: Re: spruce tops?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:04 am 
Koa
Koa

For an all around great sound you can't go wrong with red spruce. It's durable and stiff, but there is always a lot of variation within a species and it can be pricey.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:41 am 
From Colonial Tonewoods Site

Most luthiers agree that Red spruce has strong volume, pronounced individual note clarity, and recreates the "vintage sound." Red spruce is responsive whether played softly or loudly and is well suited for fingerstyle, flatpicking, or rhythm playing. Red Spruce exhibits more grain width and color variation than either German, Sitka or Engelmann spruce.

Sitka spruce is the preferred species of soundboard due to its strength to weight ratio; its inherent stiffness makes it an ideal choice for steel string acoustic guitars. Sitka has a warm, balanced tone with a clear midrange. Tonally, Sitka spruce is extremely vibrant providing an ideal "diaphragm" for the transmission of sound on any size and style of stringed instrument.

Carpathian spruce a rich complex sound with strong individual note clarity. Carpathian is ideal for both small and full bodied instruments; it has a wide dynamic range and can stand up to being driven hard.

German spruce tops are exceptionally stiff and sonically dynamic; they produce a warm, woody sound with a noticeable high end response. Visually German spruce tops are creamy white with fine, even grain spacing and noticeable cross silk. It is a preferred top for classical and steel string guitar makers and lends itself well to a variety of playing styles from classical to flatpicking.

Western Red cedar produces a warm and rich tone with bright trebles and excellent note clarity.

Engelmann Spruce has a pure clear tone & a high velocity of sound, but lends itself to being overdriven more readily.

From the 'Zootman's Site

Lutz Spruce - Great tap tone!
Italian Spruce - Fantastic tap tone! I think he might be biased here though...lol

RB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

It's really difficult to generalise, there's a lot of variation within species. It's hard to find a good looking Red spruce top under $200, sitka sometimes sounds amazing, some Englemann is stiffer and harder than what we're used to etc.
Seems a lot of people copy and paste, changing very little, what Dana wrote long ago about tonewoods:
http://www.pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm
This is what's on my website:
http://www.laurentbrondel.com/Site/Tonewood.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:30 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
This is from Elderly Instruments and possibly Martin.

Attachment:
001.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

http://www.lutherie.net/eurospruce.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Duluth
State: MN
Focus: Build
ToddStock wrote:
Mario Decosta, the logger/host of Luthier Forum,and incessant trademark creater also sells Lutz under a variety of fanciful trade names (although I have reserved 'fizzy-full-moon-lemming-leap-spruce' should I ever get into the business...sorry, Mario...knew it was a fav, but had to do it).

:lol: [clap] :lol: [clap]

Todd, you had better get your trademark application in quick! Once Mario sees this, it will be a footrace to see who gets to own fizzy-full-moon-lemming-leap-spruce. Catchy! Kinda rolls off the tongue.

Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Grandfalls
State: Newfoundland
Has anybody tried Labrador White Spruce.... I have a set that I will be using on a Gibson J200.. These trees grow to large diameters on the mountain sides here.....I also have a question on guitar tops......We have large areas of what we call burned over woods...Lots of large white spruce trees that have been standing there since a fire killed them.....These trees have lost the bark off them years ago and they are still solid and white colored.....I,m guessing these trees should be good for tops and bracing....Has anyone used woods like this and if so how long do they have to be stored before I can use them?.....How do I check the moisture content?.....Thanks Larry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
If rot hasn't set in, and there's enough wood to use in the 'good' area (outside the heart etc), then spruce dries 'real fast' once you saw it up into tops and sticker it (like a few weeks is quite safe). That said, I'd leave it sit around for a couple months just to see what happens, just in case.

And there's the usual stuff about twist in the tree etc, etc, etc. I think Mario's mentioned that you can use white spruce with good results, but that's totally based on my (often fuzzy) recollections of phone conversations.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:29 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Grandfalls
State: Newfoundland
Thanks Bob.....Gonna give it a try...Oh,and by the way,..I should finish up my guitars in the next week...I will give you an E-mail on the Labrador Guitar head stocks....Larry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Duluth
State: MN
Larry Drover wrote:
Has anybody tried Labrador White Spruce....

.....I,m guessing these trees should be good for tops and bracing....Has anyone used woods like this ?

Ask Grant Goltz, a member here, and on the Luthierforum, his handle is "whitespruce." :lol:

Grant harvests some White Spruce in Minnesota and has made a number of really nice instruments from it. He sold a few tops at the last OLF Swap Meet, so there should be some other opinions coming up here real soon. To my ears and eyes, White Spruce appears to be great wood, very stiff and resonant. I would be surprised if the dead standing trees have white colored wood in them - I'll bet there will be black or blue stain. However, you might consider it "character" (like sinker Redwood), or you may want to stain or sunburst it, or it might be perfect for your next black-topped Tiger Myrtle guitar, a la Hesh.

Grant told me that the bark should be removed as soon as possible after harvest, to preserve the whiter color, so maybe the fire did you a favor. You just gotta cut a section of trunk, then split off some bolts, and then resaw and sticker some sets. Take photos!

Dennis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Guest wrote:
From Colonial Tonewoods Site

Most luthiers agree that Red spruce has strong volume, pronounced individual note clarity, and recreates the "vintage sound." Red spruce is responsive whether played softly or loudly and is well suited for fingerstyle, flatpicking, or rhythm playing. Red Spruce exhibits more grain width and color variation than either German, Sitka or Engelmann spruce.

Sitka spruce is the preferred species of soundboard due to its strength to weight ratio; its inherent stiffness makes it an ideal choice for steel string acoustic guitars. Sitka has a warm, balanced tone with a clear midrange. Tonally, Sitka spruce is extremely vibrant providing an ideal "diaphragm" for the transmission of sound on any size and style of stringed instrument.

Carpathian spruce a rich complex sound with strong individual note clarity. Carpathian is ideal for both small and full bodied instruments; it has a wide dynamic range and can stand up to being driven hard.

German spruce tops are exceptionally stiff and sonically dynamic; they produce a warm, woody sound with a noticeable high end response. Visually German spruce tops are creamy white with fine, even grain spacing and noticeable cross silk. It is a preferred top for classical and steel string guitar makers and lends itself well to a variety of playing styles from classical to flatpicking.

Western Red cedar produces a warm and rich tone with bright trebles and excellent note clarity.

Engelmann Spruce has a pure clear tone & a high velocity of sound, but lends itself to being overdriven more readily.

From the 'Zootman's Site

Lutz Spruce - Great tap tone!
Italian Spruce - Fantastic tap tone! I think he might be biased here though...lol

RB

Descriptions that make most choices sound ideal for every instrument are not very helpful.

Insofar as verbal descriptions are helpful, I don't think I have seen better than Dana's.

When all else fails, clean the shop.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:12 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks to all who responded. The info I get from you guy's shed a little more light each time I visit and ask probably the same old questions that get asked probably at least 10 times a day! But I really appreciate the help you guys give us new one's.