Post subject: clear plastic Pickguards
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: James
Last Name: Bolan
City: Nashville
State: Tennessee
Has anyone tried the clear pickguards from Stew Mac that are self adhesive.I`d like to protect a Curly redwood Top ,but I want it to show.I know what your thinking Rick.But come on man it looks so cool. James

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I havent tried the stewmac ones, but I do have a batch of the removeable ones I bought off of a guy on ebay that work well... when you dont want them on there, just peel it right off.

Ken H

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:41 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Yeah.... :D buddy I did one. I can't remember if I used the LMI or the Stew-Mac clear, self-adhesive material but one was thicker and I used that one.

I used Frank Ford's method from frets.com to install, using water, a masking tape hinge etc. and it went very well - no trapped air bubbles at all. It was much easier then I thought it would be. I also remember using a "Pink Pearl" erraser like a squeegee to squeegee the water and air out. It was on a nitro finish, the water method would probably not be a good idea on some finishes like FP.

You need some really sharp scissors to cut the plastic smoothly and don't leave any pointed corners near the top of the rossette or they can catch on polishing clothes later in life.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:42 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Sorry Skin I thought you meant cutting one out yourself from the clear plastic material. I have not installed a pre-made one but I think that Frank's water method would be great here too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:50 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've tried a bunch or clear tap plates and golpeadores, and have yet to find a material that I'm truly happy with. Some of the thinner stuff that LMII sells is good, except for the fact that it uses some odd adhesive that actually reacts with water, making it completely worthless in my opinion. The kind I've found with better adhesives (like 3m 467) is good except that I've only found it available at around .010" thickness. I prefer it thinner, as when it's that thick it's very difficult to get clean edges. I like the Herco plate material, but can only find it in the Herco's pre-cut flamenco plate shapes.

For some strange reason I just never thought to check StewMac for this (where's the "duh", slapping yourself on the forehead emoticon?). From their description it sounds perfect, pretty much what I've been looking for myself. Let us know how it works - I'm going to put some on my next order to try it out in any case.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:50 pm 
Koa
Koa

I installed one of the Stewmac ones a few months back.

No water, just stuck it straight on with no problems or bubbles.

Bob

------------------------------------------------------
Bob Connor
Geelong, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Dave
Last Name: Anderson
City: Clearwater
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 33755
I just put one of Stew-Macs pickguards on a SJ. No problems at all using water for the first time.
I could even move it a little til I got it just right. Squeegied off the
water and bubbles and Voila! Hesh is correct about using very sharp scissors.
Hair cutting scissors are great for this.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:14 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Don
Last Name: Atwood
City: Arlington
State: Virginia
Focus: Build
Hodges_Guitars wrote:
I havent tried the stewmac ones, but I do have a batch of the removeable ones I bought off of a guy on ebay that work well... when you dont want them on there, just peel it right off.

Ken, those are good for temporary use but I wouldn't leave them on the guitar for any extended period. I have seen reports that they will react with nitro finishes, much as other plastics on guitar straps. It may be brand specific, but I would still be careful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I second the recommendation to use hair cutting scissors to cut it out. I had difficulty getting a really clean edge until I got that suggestion from this forum. Others suggested using a template and a fresh Xacto blade, but that doesn't make a clean enough edge for me.

I've put them on dry with perfect results, and it wasn't very hard, so unless I start having difficulty with that for some reason, I don't plan to use water. I just use the tape hinge and carefully roll it down.

Of course, another way to put a pick guard on your guitar is just to get a clown to barf on it...

https://www.dreamingrosesecobnb.com/todds-art-music

https://www.facebook.com/ToddRoseGuitars/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:26 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I use the Stew-Mac material.

Getting nice edges can be tricky. I discovered that using scissors is the best method for cutting, but exactly how you do it makes a big difference. For best results, draw your pattern on the back side (don't forget to reverse it) and cut counter-clockwise around the perimeter while facing the back side. You can tip the scissors so that the edge is slightly beveled. If you are left handed, do the same but cut clockwise. Doing it this way will give the material a natural tendency to to curl down (towards the top) at the edges. If you face the front side while cutting, the edges will want to curl up slightly.

I glue it down dry using a tape hinge. It will not appear very clear at first, but in a week or so it will suck itself down tight and be perfectly clear . There is no need to squeegee it down hard. Just lightly press it down with your fingers and wait for time to do the rest.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:32 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

James,

I use the Stew mac ones and like them. I have applied them dry and wet with good results either way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:02 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: James
Last Name: Bolan
City: Nashville
State: Tennessee
Thanks guys ,I`m going for it.Ya know I spent most of my time growing up trying to keep my 3 older brothers from beating the tar out of me.Just trying to say how great you folks on the forum are.
James W B