It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Guitar/Lute comparison
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm currently recording, for the college archives, some John Dowland lute pieces. I recently recorded a piece on the lute that I had previously recorded on the guitar, albeit a slightly different version as the guitar transcription differs from the original manuscript. I thought that some of you might like to make the comparison. The piece is Lady Hunsdon's Puffe, by John Dowland (1563-1626).

The guitar used was by Kevin Aram, and the lute my own Venere 10-course.

Hope you enjoy them.

Colin

Guitar

Lute

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Fantastic playing.

I like both versions for their own unique properties; the guitar's more focused, punchy abeit a little darker interpretation and the lute's delicate, sweet and shimmery tones, the notes seem to dance elegantly across the strings.

The piece seems more suited to the lute.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pete
Last Name: Liccardello
City: Eden Prairie
State: Minnesota
Thank you for the comparison Colin. Your playing is excellent and the tonal range and sonority of each instrument becomes quite evident in listening to them both. Actually, I prefer the guitar arrangement primarily for it's nice bass line. It seams to sound a bit sweeter and has more resonance.

The melody has just enough counterpoint to be interesting and sings nicely in the higher registers when listening to the lute arrangement.

Again, my thanks... It is very nice when we can share not only the appearance of our instruments but the sound as well, for that is truly what we intended them for.

[clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin S wrote:
Hope you enjoy them.

Colin

Now there's a wish come true. Enjoyed them I did!
Colin, you are amazing. If ever they kick you out of geologic circles, you've got a nice fall-back in your playing. I can see a series of concerts where you not only display the instruments you've built, but play them to the delight of the listeners. I know I'd pay to hear/see. Of course, you're spoiling us by posting these things for free....

Many thanks,

Steve

http://www.stephenkinnaird.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Great job Colin. I love it when playing through my list on ITunes when your pieces come up. Always enjoyable. I haven't an opine, as I like 'em both. Thanks for sharing it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:26 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Focus: Build
Excellent playing, sincere congratulations! Also both instruments sound very nice. One minor thing, if I may say so, i prefer the recording setup of the lute much better. Seems to have less compression artifacts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Colin,

Fantastic stuff - a luthier, player, gentleman and true artist. We need a CD of the lute stuff you are recording when it's done.

My appetite is whetted - Colin very generously sent me a set of lute plans yesterday and sometime later this year I hope to be a true "luthier".

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Very nice, Colin. I love the lute sound. There is an interesting depth to it that guitars don't have. Hard to put my finger on it. I just know I like it. I believe your guitar is equal to your Aram, at least. I'm gonna have to go listen again to yours. All of it is awesome. When does your CD come out?

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:31 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Grandfalls
State: Newfoundland
That sound sends shivers down my spine.....I have made two Irish Bouzoukis, which are a branch of the Lute family, and its by far the best sounding instruments.....Great job.....some day when I get to Heaven, I hope to play like that......Larry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your playing Colin. Back in the day, I used to play that piece - but never like that! Pleasure to listen to on both instruments.

Pat

Those that make things happen,
those that watch things happen,
and those that wondered what happened.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:13 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Joe
Last Name: Breault
City: Merrimack
State: NH
I too wish to commend your playing Colin! I think the lute sounded fuller...almost like a whole consort. In college, I had the opportunity to play in a guitar orchestra. We'd play some Dowland lute pieces in four parts. I think that is what the lute sounds like. Lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:26 pm 
Koa
Koa

Thank You Colin
Very nicely played and a very interesting comparison. I appreciate it. I do have a Colin file on my Ipod and these two pieces are ovbiously going there. I play your tunes when I need real inspiration in the shop.

John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Colin, Thank you very much!
That was quite a treat and your playing was just excellent. It was nice hearing the two instruments playing the same piece back to back. I've never experienced that before.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
Sounds Old World. Something Irish. I like the Lute. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:46 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: James
Last Name: Bolan
City: Nashville
State: Tennessee
Colin,My wife says," Sting ain`t got nothin on You."
James W B [:Y:]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Wonderful Colin!! [clap] [clap] [clap]
Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

What kind of woods on the lute? Very nice! The Lute and the music go together perfectly, dont they? The guitar body is too fat, a thinner body might sound better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
Colin - Beautiful work on both instruments, and they do indeed have their unique voices.

I had a question that I meant to start in a new thread, but I'll ask it here since this came up. If someone were to have an interest in building a lute, but the idea of learning to construct the bowl back were daunting, what would be the result of building an instrument with a guitar-like body but a purely lute-like top and neck? I guess a Portuguese guitar would be a close cousin overall, but I'm thinking of something that would be lighter and wouldn't handle the steel string tension of a portuguese guitar or most citterns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

jtkirby wrote:
Colin - Beautiful work on both instruments, and they do indeed have their unique voices.

I had a question that I meant to start in a new thread, but I'll ask it here since this came up. If someone were to have an interest in building a lute, but the idea of learning to construct the bowl back were daunting, what would be the result of building an instrument with a guitar-like body but a purely lute-like top and neck? I guess a Portuguese guitar would be a close cousin overall, but I'm thinking of something that would be lighter and wouldn't handle the steel string tension of a portuguese guitar or most citterns.

I think that rather than making a hybrid instrument, you should consider a 4 or 5-course Renaissance guitar, this is a recording I made using a Villan 4-course.

Villan 4-course guitar

Colin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:56 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on these pieces. I think every now and then we should step back from the sawdust and reflect what these elaborate constructs of wood are made for.

I think the general concensus is that the piece is best suited to the lute, which is no surprise really as it is a lute piece! Though music of that time was generally written, in it's base form, as being 'suitable for instruments of all kinds'. What I was keen to demonstrate is that the lute is not just an archaic predecessor to the guitar but was a finished instrument in its own right.

Frei, the lute has a bowl of yew and of course a Euro spruce top, the only wood acceptable for a lute soundboard. I think it's in the archives somewhere.

Dave, I know you'll build a great lute and with your playing ability in altered tunings you'll pick up the playing in no time at all.

James, we don't use the St... word!

If anyone would like to hear some more of the lute pieces, let me have a PM with an e-mail and I'll send a couple. I've got about a hundred that I have to record!

Colin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:03 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
Colin S wrote:
jtkirby wrote:

I think that rather than making a hybrid instrument, you should consider a 4 or 5-course Renaissance guitar, this is a recording I made using a Villan 4-course.

Villan 4-course guitar

Colin

Colin - Thanks, that was beautiful too. I'll look around for info on Renaissance guitars - are there readily available, good sources?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Me thinks there's a need for a set of OLF Lute plans, as drawn by Sir Colin of England. Also, said plans should be available in a kit - which should include one set of picea abies from Europe, and one set of uncarved Yew staves from Sherwood Forest or the March.
Sign me up...

Colin, you continue to inspire us all with both your exquisite playing, and your tremendous skill at building such wonderful works of art.

[clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Don Williams wrote:
Me thinks there's a need for a set of OLF Lute plans, as drawn by Sir Colin of England.

I also agree. I have two commissions to fulfil, but after that, I was seriously planning to build a lute to add to my instrument arsenal.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:21 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: James
Last Name: Bolan
City: Nashville
State: Tennessee
My wife would also like me to build a lute.Where are those plans Colin? James

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:00 pm 
Koa
Koa

Collin, I want all of them!! :mrgreen: [:Y:] :?