All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Blueridge BR 73 Guitar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:04 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Greetings,
I just had a Blueridge BR-73 OM come through for some setup work. This was a very impressive little guitar! Laminated sides, solid spruce top, 1/4" scalloped braces, very clean workmanship, and a flat neck with good fretwork. After a little work on the nut and a bone saddle this thing played and sounded absolutely great for a $600 instrument. Tuners were the only major weak point. Throw in a K&K and it would make a great gigging and travel guitar. To be perfectly honest I've played $2500 guitars that didn't sound or play as well as this thing. Is this typical of the Blueridge line?
Terry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
Focus: Build
I sat in with a friend's band recently and played a loaner Blueridge. Not bad at all for the price - I agree. Loud, pretty nice sounding, and very playable. Not that long ago I would have dismissed these entirely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:44 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Ron
Last Name: Y
I played a few of the Blueridge Guitars, and they are excellent Chinese made guitars. They have received very good reviews. The only thing I don't like about them is the narrow width of the neck at the nut (1-11/16"). Not fingerpicker friendly. Otherwise they are excellent guitars. Just my opinion.

Ron Mack
Formerly Mackie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:55 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

One of my son's friends brought his guitar like this by a few weeks back. You are right, it's amazing how good they are for the price. Of course it's made in China.

Mmmmhmmm, you think I'm gonna diss Chinese made products, no way. Lately they've been getting raw and ugly press for repeated failures in manufacturing, leading to massive recalls of their products mostly related to safety. So safeguards must be put into place that bring their products up to the rest of the world's standards.

When I first started guitar building, I was also interested in violins. Played a cello for 4 years in public school music. I borrowed my brother in law's fiddle, it was "Made in China". I've forgotten the brand but I think it may be "Lark"? But it was truly inferior to other instruments I'd seen.

Fast forward about four years, I purchased a fiddle from International Violins, it was a Palatino, and dirt cheap. The quality was amazing, and quite different from the Lark from a quarter century earlier. Palatino comes in varying quality of woods too, but all solid. So, as you move up the scale you get real ebony, flamed maple backs and sides, really good wood.

Lately I've looked at a few Cellos from China and been totally blown away at the gem quality maple figures on the back of some of the instruments. Folks who are not hung up on name brands will likely be very happy with some Chinese instruments of the "quality variety", I'm sure there are still some junk stuff available too.

I got to go into the edge of China once in 1988. Quangzhou was our brief destination. A world much different from what most of us know. When you see someone living in tarpaper shack at the edge of a field, it helps you understand how far things have progressed. I can only hope that life improves for the average Chinese as time passes.

Thumbs up on the Blueridge, the quality seems to be there for the cost.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:16 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
To borrow from Rick - what would the blind guitarist say when playing one, listening to one, and not being told what it was or where it came from?

Terry buddy I have been impressed by these too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Glenn
Last Name: LaSalle
City: Saint Petersburg
State: Florida
I have a Blueridge OM with solid EIR and Sprice top - got off Ebay a couple years ago for under 500 bucks. This guitar is very impressive, IMO, regardless of price. It is very loud, and has a decent tone. I use it as my "throw in the car when I am travelling" guitar - I couldnt be happier!

Glenn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:45 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
On the Chinese violins, I bought a $400 3/4 violin for our daughter that's absolutely amazing for the price. The luthier who referred me to the shop where I bought it said the violin makers in China are going to schools in Germany to learn the craft, then figuring out how to get a factory to churn them out. He thought the better factories had actual violin-making by violin-makers going on in a factory environment, instead of the cookie-cutter approach you'd expect.

How long before we see Chinese at Ervin's, Charles Fox's, or other guitar schools?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Can't wait.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
The best 'Martin' I've ever played was a BRW Blueridge...seriously. If they ditched the veneer 'thinlay' on the headstocks, there'd be no way to tell the work apart from a quality high-end-market instrument besides reading the label. If they don't have $3K burning a hole in their pocket, then I recommend these to people who come to me asking about acoustics.

My personal guitar is a BR, and some of the professionals I know own a couple because 'hey, I can have five different ones for the price of a Martin!'. As with any production guitar, you've gotta sort through them to get a gem but you have to do that with Martins and Taylors, too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bill
Last Name: Greene
City: Kings Mountain
State: North Carolina
Zip/Postal Code: 28086
Yep, I've owned a couple and they're nice for the money. Now, I stop short of saying that without the headstock overlay they're in the same "build class" as a Martin, etc., but they are clearly good in the tone department.

Blueridge guitars are gaining a significant following in the bluegrass community too...but then grassers tend to be a low income group. :D (OK, that was a joke, please, nobody jump on me for disparaging bluegrass musicians, or their ability to read/maintain gainful employment,etc.) :D [uncle]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:18 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Well Bill my friend at least you didn't bring up that gassers have the lowest divorce rate because it easier to get along with your sister........ :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Use the edit button, Hesh. Lots of us are gassers that can't play a lick of bluegrass! :D :lol:

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Yep, them Blueridge guitars are pretty darn good for the price. Elderly instruments has a whole bunch of em' and 1 day last year I picked 4 or 5 for a few minutes. If I were to get a guitar for say, under $700 or $800, Blueridge would probably be my choice. Cool pickguards on Blueridge axes too!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:48 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Agreed on the Blueridge guitars. Another, if you haven't tried one, is the Epiphone Masterbuilt series. I normally walk right by the Epi's on the wall, somebody had to convince me to pull one down. Really amazing, these things. In fact, the ones I played I would give a nod over the Blueridges I played - seriously.

Furthermore, where Blueridge tends to make Martin copies (dreads and OMs), the Masterbuilts do those as well as some slope shoulder AJ's....they even make an L-00! Seem to be very thinly finished, too.