It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Restoration Help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:12 am 
Walnut
Walnut

My cuzin recently gifted me a old guitar that he started to work on but never finished it. It has dents and nicks on every inch of the body and the neck and headstock are chipped everywhere. The backplate is missing and the bridge is rusted and the pickups in it are old and dont sound that great. I will post pictures of if later, Im in school and dont have my camera with me. I know how to fix the body of it because that just needs some sanding, but does anyone know how to fix chips in the neck? Also if anyone has a sudgestion for a place to buy pickups (2 single coil and 1 humbucker), pickguard material, backplates, knobs, and bridges, i would really appreciate it.

I will be posting the pictures of it later on today and hopefully documenting the entire restoration (that is if i dont screw it over somehow). Thanks all for listening :)

Post subject: Re: Restoration Help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:45 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Well I'm trying to post the pictures of it before i attempt to restore it ... if anyone has any advice as to what they think i should do id really appreciate it :D thanks all

-AJ

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:36 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Wayne
Last Name: Clark
City: Driftwood
State: TX
Focus: Build
Check out the sponsor links at the top of the forum web page. Stewart MacDonald will have most of the parts you need.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
Superglue works good for filling chips. Be careful not to let it run everywhere and don't use accelerator as that make it cloudy. Let it dry and then scrape it down level with a razor blade.

The finish on that guitar doesn't look all that bad. I would not sand it down and refinish it. Just touch it up where needed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:31 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

BarryDaniels wrote:
Superglue works good for filling chips. Be careful not to let it run everywhere and don't use accelerator as that make it cloudy. Let it dry and then scrape it down level with a razor blade.

The finish on that guitar doesn't look all that bad. I would not sand it down and refinish it. Just touch it up where needed.

The body has more dents then my camera is willing to show ... however if i used superglue to fix the holes, wouldnt that leave a clear spot that would stick out from the rest of the finish? If so is there another step that could fix it so that it blends in or is there a better way to do it then super glue for bigger dents or chips?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:03 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
If you need to add color, do that before the superglue fill. Get several colors of oil-based stain and mix up a good match. Use a small artists brush to apply the color in stages. You can add more if you need it darker or a slightly different tint. If you get it too dark, it is hard to go backwards to a lighter color without removing all of it and starting over.

As to the question of if anything is better than superglue; that depends on what the original finish is. Do you know? If it is lacquer then drop filling the chips with lacquer would be the best approach. But if you don't know the finish type, and have no way of determining it, then superglue will work with whatever finish you may have.