Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kirby
State: Wa. ... Devoted (Inspired?) hack
BarryDaniels wrote:
Interesting differences. I have never felt very welcomed here. I try to post useful posts but they are never acknowledged. Whereas the MIMF is my home.

Hi Barry this may be unwanted and unneeded advice,

Give yourself a few minutes to try and figure out why then relax let go of those feelings and approach it all from a new perspective. It sometimes works for me.

"Sippin Loch Dhu @Black lake" ,Kirby O...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:42 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Sam Price wrote:
Luthier's forums to me are about the sharing of information regarding guitar building...
(emphasis added by me).

What I've always seen as the major difference between this forum and MIMF, speaking only of content, is that this forum tends to be extremely guitar-centric. That's not necessarily a bad thing - and if I ever get back around to building guitars, especially flat-tops, you'll hear me piping up a lot more often. The brain (and skill) trust here is amazing. The thing I've always appreciated about MIMF is the broad scope of interest and knowledge that is represented there. Whether you're interested in violins, mandolins, guitars (of any type), bagpipes, didgeridoos, you name it - if it makes music (or noise!), somebody there knows about it. I'd have to concur with Barry that I also feel a little more at home over there - not because of 'feeling more welcome' or anything like that, but because my interests, currently, are sort of outside the scope of this forum. Possibly that is something that will change with time, if either A) I find renewed interest in guitars, or 2) all those OTHER people start coming over here :o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Rick Turner wrote:
I noticed that there was still a "I will not discuss policy in public" attitude, though...

The "commercial" restrictions meted out with a heavy hand were why I left MIMF, and I see no reason to return given the generally excellent level of discourse here along with the better forum software. For a more specialized forum, the Mandolin Cafe is truly excellent, too, with some of the top mando luthiers quite accessible. In fact, I'd say that they have the best representation of the top of the field of any stringed instrument forum I know of.

I really see MIMF as appealing more to beginners and folks who will never earn a living at lutherie, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but I'm looking to learn from pro peers here...and I do.

Well said, Rick...and if you can learn something on this forum, then I certainly can! :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:57 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
JJ Donohue wrote:
BarryDaniels wrote:
Interesting differences. I have never felt very welcomed here. I try to post useful posts but they are never acknowledged. Whereas the MIMF is my home.

I'm sorry you feel that way, Barry. I have always thought you provide good information both here as well as MIMF. I for one welcome you here and hope that you continue to participate here as well.

Barry my friend I simply and sincerely wanted to second what JJ indicated above.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

It's interesting how people's perespectives have been stated in comparing the 2 forums. I, for example, always felt that the level of experience was much higher at MIMF than here. It's been around much longer and it has always seemed to me that "the number of guitars built per member" was higher at MIMF. That would seem to be a reasonable metric to consider.

Obviously, the MIMF subject matter covers a much broader base for stringed instruments...or even instruments in general. If, however, there has been a signicant decline in membership then that might account for the the contrary view that MIMF is more for newbies, although I personally am not convinced.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:12 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kirby
State: Wa. ... Devoted (Inspired?) hack
Rick Turner wrote:
Hey, this place has even been tolerant of Grumpy and me...now that's saying something!

Sorry Mr. turner this is just to good to pass up,

The Tasmanian Devil is in the House :!: :twisted: 8-)

"Sippin Loch Dhu @Black lake" ,Kirby O...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Southwick, MA
Well, as a "wannabe", I wandered around several forums on Rick Turner's advice from a post I made on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. I felt that I wanted to find the most information I could on acoustic guitar building specifically, and I found it here.

I don't visit the other forums as often as i should, so that i get a more "well-rounded" education, if you will, but I believe firmly in the notion that one does not get better at something hanging around exclusively with people of the same skill level. So, I sought out you "black belt" builders, and basically bought in on faith, in the beginning, that you were worthy of listening to.

I've not been disappointed.

I agree with Rick that we can get carried away over here with all the "hey look at my first build" stuff, and I'm guilty of it myself, but all in all, I am on this forum A LOT, and I have learned A LOT...

...and I have A LOT more to learn...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Focus: Build
Mitch Cain wrote:
I agree with Rick that we can get carried away over here with all the "hey look at my first build" stuff, and I'm guilty of it myself,.

Mitch, thats not a bad thing! :D

Although the virtual high fives may not be for everybody, I would rather have too much of it as apposed to none at all.
I really do look at the OLF as a place that I go to hang out with my buddies, a place to share in the excitement of a well done rosette, or a stunning binding job! OR a first guitar! OR learn a new trick! Look no further than my purfling predicament!

I enjoy giving and receiving virtual high fives from my friends.

Corny or not. That my story and im sticking to it! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

City: Southwick, MA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:17 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
Lance Kragenbrink wrote:
Mitch Cain wrote:
I agree with Rick that we can get carried away over here with all the "hey look at my first build" stuff, and I'm guilty of it myself,.

Although the virtual high fives may not be for everybody, I would rather have too much of it as apposed to none at all.
I really do look at the OLF as a place that I go to hang out with my buddies, a place to share in the excitement of a well done rosette, or a stunning binding job! OR a first guitar! OR learn a new trick! Look no further than my purfling predicament!

Sure..... and this from a guy who meets me for lunch, asks if he can stick his arm down the sound hole on my latest guitar, does so - and then when I post pictures several days ago not a single high-five, no comment, clapping hands, nada, nothing........... :cry: :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
Hesh wrote:
Lance Kragenbrink wrote:
Mitch Cain wrote:

Sure..... and this from a guy who meets me for lunch, asks if he can stick his arm down the sound hole on my latest guitar, does so - and then when I post pictures several days ago not a single high-five, no comment, clapping hands, nada, nothing........... :cry: :D

Guilty as charged :oops:

I thought the drool I left on the top was evidence enough of my feelings about said guitar ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Lance, you just can't stroke some people enough! :D :lol: :lol:

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:55 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I frequent both sites and I think both sites are great. I don't post much at either site, but enjoy reading and learning. One advantage of the MIMF compared to many forums is that you don't see online shouting matches (and for this example, I mean all forums not just guitar related).

I have noticed that some members who in the past posted at both sites no longer do so. Some migrated over here and some seemed to have left here or no longer post much. One thing that I don't see at the MIMF that I do see here are posts about folks meeting in person and doing shop visits or meeting one of the vendors. I think that is great. It seems to be a good mix of people knowing each other virtually and actually meeting each other.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:31 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Robert
Last Name: Cefalu
City: Buffalo
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 14217
Rick Turner wrote:
There are different reasons to be involved in Internet forums, and they're all valid. Some want to be a part of a social community, some want real information with a minimum of static. If what you want is a warm fuzzy family and a kind of in-crowd feeling, yes, it's over there at MIMF where I think threads degenerate pretty quickly into clique-speak. I'm not here on OLF for want of friends and community; I'm here to share information and learn something. To be honest, I'm not all that interested in endless self-congratulatory conversations about first builds. Too often such things become like college football pep rallies...a spinning of gushing emo bulls..t. I have not problem with folks learning to build, and I think they should be encouraged; I just prefer to do that in either a one-on-one or classroom situation where I can handle the instrument and critique it honestly.

As for forums, I like to get down to the real place where steel meets wood. That's happening here a lot with the sharing of techniques, suppliers, and the nitty gritty of guitar making.

Geez Rick. I am disappointed. I was really hoping I could be your friend. :D
We love you and grumpy too. :o
Hey give my regards to Robert when you arrive in Tasmania.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498