All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Workbench design
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:19 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First post.
I was wondering if anyone had some advise on beach design specifically for luthiers? I couldn't find a thread on bench design. I'm getting ready to put together another bench and hoping for some other resources to look at for ideas. I figure for the amount of time I'm likely to stand next to this bench in the future, I'd better take a couple minutes thinking about its features.
Thanks, Austin

Post subject: Re: Workbench design
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:33 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Welcome dude,

As for the bench thing,
Personally I think it is a good idea to map it out and think about it, but don't overthink it.
I built mine in an afternoon and was able to incorpoarte a 4 by 3 ft area, elevated to accomadate my extra tools, wood, and my table saw slides under it. Then a 6 foot by 3 foot section, a little lower for my work area, and then another 4 ft by 3 ft section on the end for the drill press and small power tools, with a go bar deck below it.

My first priority was to make sure there was enough space and comfortable reach. Beyond that I want to build guitars, so I didn't make it too fancy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:36 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Welcome to the OLF Austin!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Austin, there have been many discussions on work benches before, I'm sure you will find several in the archives. Also make sure you search the "workshop" threads, you will see many benches that people use in the pictures.

BUT! We are always game for another workbench thread!

To start you should clarify your needs a little; what type of bench did you have in mind? They can be free standing, along a wall, semi island, U shaped, L shaped; high or low depending on how tall are and if you will you be planing, doing much detail work, repair work or perhaps general cabinet making too... What type of vises did you have in mind, do you have a preference for a wooden or perhaps a high pressure laminate covered top, will you want to put holes and drywall screws in it from time to time; will you be doing much work sitting down? Will you want to clamp things to the table top, what about storage underneath it...?

Last edited by Arnt Rian on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:36 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I've been rethinking my design and have been looking for ideas. I really like the benches at the Chicago School of Guitar. Check out all the links to get some ideas: http://www.specimenproducts.com/guitar_ ... aking.html

I haven't seen them in person, but they appear to be designed for guitar building/repair versus some of the general woodworking workbench ideas found online.

Good topic.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Someone always provides the link to Frak Ford's repair bench in these discussions too... Here you go:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Tools/Bench/mybench.html[code][/code]

Last edited by Arnt Rian on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

This is very timely for me. I am also looking to build a bench this spring. But mine will need to be for general purpose woodwork and storage as well as help with guitar building. I am looking at a blend of some plans I have seen in woodworking mags, but have not settled on what type vise yet. I am thinking I could set up the guitar holder (from Sylvan Wells' site) on the back and just set up the pipe clamps when I need them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:12 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice Filippo,
I'm a big fan of a freestanding bench that you can walk around. I have two. An L shape and a simple rectangle. They are topped with two layers of particle board and a top of melamine. Top is replaceable after you beat it up and you can drill holes anywhere to drop in the StewMac vise etc. One of mine has an outrigger for the vise like Todd's You can suspend your go bar deck from the ceiling over the bench.
Terry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:26 am 
Koa
Koa

-

Last edited by TonyFrancis on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

i find the height of the bench pretty important, i like it pretty high so i'm not stooping over it all day. It can be a problem if there are a couple of us working in here and the other guy is a little shorter than me. I'm 6ft1 and i find a bench almost 4ft tall really comfortable. Lots of room for the tool chest underneath, or foot room & bin if you prefer.
My current bench is too low for me so i'll be putting in a new layer of thin draws for certain tools and a new worktop ontop of it when i'm working here on my own full-time to raise it up to meet me properly.

Also if the floor is cold you may want a wooden platform to stand on - being at a bench for 60hrs a week 50 weeks a year adds up on the body - bare that in mind when choosing the height,
all the best,
steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:56 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Wow! I feel like I hit the mother lode. I as well will start my bench this spring. (to cold in the unheated shop. That's going to change too!) Thank all you for the advise and links. I have an old tool shed in the back yard about 12x18 that I'm turning into the "New Shop". The bench will go under a window for some western exposure natural light. Not a big bench or a European masterpiece but something hybrid for mostly hobby woodworking and guitar building. I'll use the garage for the big power tools and furniture construction.
I'll keep reading, and digest everything you guys can tell me. I'll keep you posted as the bench comes along.

Thanks to all of you and what a cool website!
Austin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
Focus: Build
This was a good thread....I love the "What's happening in your shop" threads too. I like looking at everyones setup and tools.....no pun intended
Anyway....I just love working off my kitchen table. Just throw a towel over it and you're in bidness.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I read quickly through this thread and agree with most of it. It's hard to screw up a workbench....

1. Height is important, just needs to be comfortable for you.

2. I suggest raising the top for clamping around the edges. I did this by taking off the maple lam top and inserting two 2x4's on edge. Now I can clamp all the way around the thing. Grab a braced top, slap on a couple klemmsia clamps and you are ready to shave braces.

But the main thing I use the elevated top for is gluing my fingerboards and necks, along one side. The heavy top is solid maple. I wouldn't run out and buy a $400 top though, two pieces of 3/4 plywood will do fine. Again, a lot of folk nail it right on a 2by4 frame and that closes off the edges of the top for gluing workpieces later. So some sort of elevated edge is very useful for clamping, holding, shaping, you name it....

3. I bought an old school counter which included the top, shelving, sliding doors etc. I took the doors off and made more shelving in the unit. But it's nice being closed on three sides, and it makes it sturdy.

4. I've yet to mount a vise, but these pics are really nice, and I have one down there. Frank was right, most people will not drill into that maple, it's so nice, and so expensive. (so use plywood) I'm mounting mine today, I'm not getting any younger! Those big honking vises are so nice guys....

5. Last point, one isn't enough!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

Kind of bench related, if you're forced to have your bench up against a wall, I find this fixture invaluable for allowing 360 degree access at a comfortable height. (Benedetto shows this fixture permanently mounted in his book but I like being able to remove it from the vise & store it.)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:49 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Dave Stewart wrote:
Kind of bench related, if you're forced to have your bench up against a wall, I find this fixture invaluable for allowing 360 degree access at a comfortable height. (Benedetto shows this fixture permanently mounted in his book but I like being able to remove it from the vise & store it.)

Dave, that's a beauty! I've seen just how useful that fixture is while watching the Benedetto video. Can you please go into some of the basics on how you made it? I always saw it as kind of a "reverse guitar mold". It would be great if you can give some tips on how to build one of these things.

In regards to benches, I'm working in a medium sized room. I've decided on one of the lower priced Sjoberg benches. It's roughly 55".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:40 pm 
Koa
Koa

Jack, you can get most of it from the first pic but basically, it's 3 pcs 3/4" ply lam'd & cut out (and in my case, an additional 3/4'w rim, cork topped, to allow an archtop plate to sit without bottoming). Endblocks for clamps are attached. A 2" flange is attached to the bottom & 2" x 18" blackpipe screwed in. The vise holder top & bottom are drilled (2") & the top one split & the hole lined with inner tube. (The sides are 1/8 ply). Loosening vise frees vertically (ouch!!) and rotationally. Think about inserts (for inside rim) to allow for different body shapes/sizes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Dave, thanks for posting that. I can see, now, how to put my solera on a pipe in a box and mount it so it will swivel. Great system. Can you lock it so it will stay in one place, and not twist?

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:58 pm 
Koa
Koa

Tightening the vise prevents dropping , rotating & tilting, provided you line the clamping top holder hole with something that grabs the blackpipe. (You can tilt the rig off vertical somewhat, if having the body off horizontal works better for what you're doing). One tip is, once you've established a comfy height, cut a dowel to put in a benchdog hole near the vise, so the thing doesn't accidentally drop when lossening the vise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Coming from a cabinetmaking/woodworking background, I found a few things wrong with my woodworkers bench. First, my aging vision had me bent over way too much to feel comfortable, and sitting did not allow enough access. Second, my workbench was too large to allow adequate clamping access to most of my jigs and molds. Third, my bench was/is still used for other stuff, putting my guitar in progress at risk.

So, I built a small square bench that is about chest high, 24"X24", and on lockable swival H.D. casters. I have clamp on attachments for holding the neck and clamping the body in virtually any position and much nearer to my eyes. I do fewer laps around the bench (probably not a good thing, given my waistline) and I can roll the guitar bench out of harms way, when needed. Plus, although I haven't taken advantage of it yet, there is a storage opportunity for guitar specific tooling below the bench.

Just another option for your consideration.

Danny R. Little

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Here are some pics of my work islands. I actually spend most of my time on the little one, but my go bar deck is over the L shaped one. I have holes drilled all over the expendable tops of these benches to drop vises and attach stuff like binding routing machines etc.
Terry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I like your shop Terrence. When you have space, islands are a great idea.
A big and heavy woodworking bench is overkill for luthiery I think, we don't have to clamp big carcasses, or chisel out mortises with a heavy mallet.
2 laminated sheets of 3/4" plywood or MDF make a great bench, even pine boards do if level and flat. Most important things are height, probably a little higher than usual to keep the work close to the eyes, and lighting. 2 architect lights with hallogen bulbs are great, providing ample light and canceling shadows. For hammering frets a stable and heavy little bench is a must though.
It's cool to have separate benches for building and assembly/setup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Jim
Last Name: Kirby
Dave Stewart wrote:
Jack, you can get most of it from the first pic but basically, it's 3 pcs 3/4" ply lam'd & cut out (and in my case, an additional 3/4'w rim, cork topped, to allow an archtop plate to sit without bottoming). Endblocks for clamps are attached. A 2" flange is attached to the bottom & 2" x 18" blackpipe screwed in. The vise holder top & bottom are drilled (2") & the top one split & the hole lined with inner tube. (The sides are 1/8 ply). Loosening vise frees vertically (ouch!!) and rotationally. Think about inserts (for inside rim) to allow for different body shapes/sizes.

I'm putting one together based on a piano stool mechanism for height and rotation, but I haven't figured out the right add-on to lock it in place when you want.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:38 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks to all for the great pics and advise. Also on the vises. It's very cool to see other shops and tools in use and get a chance to expand our own horizons. I really appreciate this forum!

Thanks again!
Austin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Danny R. Little wrote:
... So, I built a small square bench that is about chest high, 24"X24", and on lockable swival H.D. casters. I have clamp on attachments for holding the neck and clamping the body in virtually any position and much nearer to my eyes.

Danny ... your set up sounds interesting. Can you share any pics?

To the others on this thread ... still in the tooling up phase myself, I am always amazed with the wealth of knowledge and ideas shared on the OLF. I have heard on this thread, as well as in other areas of the forum that many of you have L-shaped benches. Are there specific functions in the build process that make an L-shaped bench preferred?

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

For me the smaller part of the L is a good place to set tools and anchor a vise when you are doing assembly work on the large part.
My small island is right across from the L and that's where I set a lot of my tools when I'm working at the small bench.
"Nature abhorrs an empty flat surface"
Terry