Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:25 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Duluth
State: MN
Focus: Build
I'm curious if there are any tuning machines that have exactly the same mounting configuration as Gotoh tuning machines, so that I could put relatively inexpensive machines on a guitar, and easily swap them out for the nicer, more expensive ones later. I have high hopes (close to insanity, for me) of building 5 or 6 guitars this year, and cannot imagine spending $500 on the tuners I want, right away. It would be nice to be able to "phase them in."

I think Gotoh owns Wilkinson, but don't know if Wilkinson is their "cheap" brand that Gotoh engineered, or if it is just a company they bought out. I also see that besides naming half their machines with "510" as part of the name, Gotoh also makes some 310 and 360 machines that appear to be less expensive. I'd love to know what lines up with what, but Gotoh evidently doesn't answer emails or on-line requests for catalogs, and it is difficult to see the CAD drawings, even blown-up...

I'm particularly interested in ending up with the Gotoh SGV510Z machines (with the center screw), and wonder what inexpensive machines I can install first. I can't tell for sure from Gotoh's catalog, but it does not appear that they really make a "mini" version of that tuner, in spite of it being listed at LMI. (I think it's the same tuner with a smaller button.)

I also wonder about the "-MG" Magnum Lock functionality offered in many of the Gotoh line. Does anyone have experience with them? I like the concept of a locking tuner.

If I want to pick exactly my tuners and options from the vast variations of the Gotoh catalog, who do I buy from? None of the usual suspects offer 1/20 of the Gotoh catalog.

Gotoh On-Line Catalog

Thanks,

Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You want the 301s ..they are about 35 Cdn in chrome, and the holes are the same location as the 510s you are looking at.

the 510Z 21:1 option doesnt come in mini format - only 15:1 for 510S

mag lock .. work great, and on the best enclosed tuner you can get. HAP option is great for strat with no string trees as well.

Options .. try talking to Shane .. short of that I have a local contact, but only orders 3-4 times per year (Gotoh has huge min order requirements), and an order just came in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:42 am 
Koa
Koa

Tony,

Thank you very much! Just the info I needed. I just ordered a set of chrome 301's, and will use them to lay out the headstock(s).

"mag lock .. work great, and on the best enclosed tuner you can get. " makes me wonder why that is not the standard, off-the-shelf tuner from all the big luthier supply houses.

Now, if I can just figure out the finishes from the Gotoh on-line manual, so I'll know for sure what I want to order. Looks like if I want:
(GG=gold; MG=Magnum Lock; BL5=large black button), then I order:
SGV510Z-BL5 MG GG
or, if I want them all black, then I order:
SGV510Z-BL5 MG CK (CK=black?; MG=Magnum Lock; BL5=large black button)

Some of the finish codes are easy, some are not:
N = Nickel
C = Chrome
GG = Gold
CK = ? blaCK

The X-finishes (coated?):
XN = ? Nickel
XG = ? gold or brushed gold
XC= ? brushed chrome

I wonder what LMI means when they say they have a mini 510 Contour, which they show with a centered screw: GGM6DGBSM Gold, matte black plastic button, 21:1 Delta contour mini
I don't really see any mini 510s (SGS510) in Gotoh's catalog that have the centered screw hole, and so (unless it's a typo on LMI's site) I'm guessing LMI simply orders some SGV510 with a smaller button (S5 or BS5), and then they call that a "mini."

But, if there really is a mini with a centered screw, it makes me wonder: does it use exactly the same mounting configuration as Gotoh 301 tuning machines?

Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:33 pm 
Koa
Koa

...makes me wonder why that is not the standard, off-the-shelf tuner from all the big luthier supply houses.

I meant that I wonder why the Magnum Lock feature is not the standard feature on Gotoh's stocked by distributors.

Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

well, my guess is too many options (mag lock) to stock them all, and the lock i almost never on an acoustic - do you really need it ??? Unless you have invented the first D28 trem version !!! as well .. they wont work on strings gauge over about 60, maybe less (one of my students had a set of grover locking - they wouldnt take a 53) .. so if you do a baritone with a 66 or 70 forget it .. I have to drill out the low B tuners to fit the Daddario EXP 70 gauge low B

i am looking a my 07 catalog ....

there is a delta mini, but its 18:1 not 21 - its also offset screw .. my guess is this a either for small headstocks, or 12 strings.

Finishes - right .. there is gold (GG), chrome (C), cosmo black (CK) which is a dark metal grey, kinda gunstock ( they have stopped all gloss black finishes due to environmental reasons),then the X finishes, which are an aged look - XG are nice on a french polish or matte type finish - XG gold, XN nickel, and XC chrome.

there is also an option not listed .. my dealer gets the 510s with a B5 button .. oval ebonoid shape like the P1 or P2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

"...and the lock i almost never on an acoustic - do you really need it ??? Unless you have invented the first D28 trem version !!! "
Well, Tony, you let the cat out of the bag, so I guess I'll announce right here and now my upcoming dreadnaught with a whammy bar: the 2008 Leahy "Wham Bam, Dread Or Alive" acoustic guitar. Available in two-tone metallic gray sunburst, with or without neon purfling. :roll:

I suppose you're right, there is no need for a mag lock on an acoustic, but I like using fewer wraps on the post - they seem to tune faster when new.

One of the guitars just barely started is indeed a baritone, and I was planning on using the D'Addario EXP 23 strings. So, would you call the string hole drill-out a good workable solution, or a kludge to be avoided? I had wondered if there is a more ideal set of tuners than Gotoh 510s to use for baritone acoustic guitars.

Thanks again for your input.

Dennis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dennis, I sent you a PM that might help. If you didnt get it, Please let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.

Ken

Ken H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

the drill out works fine .. besides, I dont know of any other way to do it, no one makes a baritone specific tuner