Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:15 pm 
I really need to improve my storage solutions in the garage if I am to have any space to work.

I am looking at the Racor Heavy lift:
http://www.racorinc.com/products.fx?id=150

My plan for this is to lift my table saw out of the way when I am not using it. I use the Ryobi BT300. I know this saw has its fans and critics, but it is well under the 250 pound lift capacity.

Anyone done anything similar? Comments?

Also looking to build a large garage storage loft using the "loft maker". See here:
http://www.glgaragesystems.com/store/in ... MENT_ID=77

Has anyone done anything similar. Any better ideas for a large storage shelf. I am looking to span the width of the garage about 20feet and build the shelf in the space over my garage door. I need to clear away the camping gear, etc to give my self a permanent work area.

I am holding off ordering the loft maker kit until I see what if any feedback I can get.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
Focus: Build
Seems like you could build that loft with 2 x 4s and 3/4" plywood without the kit.

The lift is 4ft x 4ft, which is a lot of floor area for a ridgid TS. I'd rethink this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:19 pm 
Burbank: I appreciate the comments.

The Table Saw takes up about 35 X 44 inches (give or take). Your right, that is not a full 4 X 4. But that does take up valuable space on the floor. I will not be able to put the TS on the 4X4 shelf, but would probably chain it under the shelf. In theory, I could still use the shelf, but would probably just use it for other table saw accessories and maybe my miter saw. Other recommendations forgetting the TS out of the way when not in use are appreciated.

I agree that the loft is built from 2x4 and plywood. The main function of the hardware is to provide support and suspend from the ceiling. This allows it to be built over the garage door (or anywhere in the garage). I have seen other options on line that involve building with 4x4 post for support from the ground. But I would rather not go that route, and I can't use that method for the garage door area. If you have other suggestions on how to provide the support I would like to hear those.

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:23 pm 
Koa
Koa

Make sure your roof rafters can handle the weight. Do you get snow? That would add weight...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:44 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Rick: Thanks for your response. I am in North Carolina, so snow is not a big issue. Also, the garage is under another room, so it would be the floor joist from the room above. I had a local contractor give me an estimate a while back, and he did not indicate any potential issues. His shelf would have a much more professional finished look and would probably be stronger, but I could build for much less.

I doubt that I would push the limits of what the "loft maker" claims to hold. Just need to get things off the floor and out of the way.

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:41 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

i built a loft inbetween the garage door(when the door is open) and the ceiling. its only about 15 or 17 inches tall. made it out of unistrut welded it together then hung it with 3/8 threaded rod and sammy bolts into the ceiling trusses. then sheeted it with 3/4 ply. the unistrut is 1 5/8 thick plus 3/4 wood so 2 3/8 thick so it saved room compared to 2x4s

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:23 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

The unistrut sounds interesting, but I am having trouble finding prices and information on dealers in my area. The sammy screws look interesting, but are expensive. I am most concerned with ease of installation and reasonable cost. In my case, I thin I have room for the 2x4, so don't see that as an issue.

Would be interested in further investigating this method. I am assuming that you ran the unistrut the full lenght and then ran some across as well.