Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:19 pm 
Rick Turner,

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion. If you are as knowledgable as some people say you are, why did you make the decision to try and bring the poor guy down when he was already in an unfortunate situation? It sure was clear to me that he was looking for help from people who I'd hope are here to offer assistance and learn from each other.

I don't agree with the way you have handled yourself a couple of times on this forum. I really wanted to say something several topics ago when you stated that people who are too lazy to do the proper research deserve to have their guitars fall apart on them. I can't think of any reason why I would wish that someone's work would fail, I would'nt even begin to wish that upon you even though I don't think much of you. Anyone who sets out to build a guitar is no slouch in my books. If we all knew everything there is to know what fun would the journey of making a guitar be?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:03 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
"Guest" I don't know who you are and you didn't use your name in your post but I wanted to respectfully beg to differ with you here. Mind you - my wish is that if no one has anything constructive to say going forward confined to helping Rich with his original questions that we all refrain from further divergent comments. But I rarely get my wish so no biggie there.

I went to my doctor the other day and she said to me that it would not hurt me at all to stop smoking...... After I replied to her that it would not hurt her at all to lay off the Ben and Jerry's and lose 15 pounds I actually heard what she said and understood what the real message was.

This professional was saying to me that she would hope that I would do all I could to help myself first before seeking professional guidance.

I see this as very related to what Rick is saying here. And I agree that regardless of the delivery the contents of the package, Rick's message, is indeed valid - at least it is to me.

Many folks have been harmed by comments on the Internet that once made can live on in Google searches for far to long.

I also am convinced that Rich was just asking an honest question and had no intent to diss the vendor. But no one has any control over how a post may be personally perceived by each of us beyond our own ability to see the intent as positive or not.

Your comments and even bringing up past instances where you disagree with Rick's approach AND not identifying yourself is simply not fair. It does not contribute to the health of the forum, disregards the request of one of our hosts to lighten up, and is in my view inflammatory.

I wanted to add here that I may have the dubious distinction of having fought with Rick on this forum more than anyone else....... This is something that I am NOT proud of.

Recently I proactively approached Rick and asked him to lend a hand in helping another member who had left the forum over a disagreement. Rick went out of his way, behind the scenes, and did indeed help and that member is now back here. There is a heart there and I am the first to admit that I was very wrong in my initial judgment of Rick.

So please let's honor our hosts here and help the OLF have a year where we all grow in both guitar building and understanding each other.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

harumph....I'm sorry, but I just have to point out that requiring registration would keep "guests" (please take note of the quotes) from making posts like that...if you are afraid to use your nick to say it, then don't say it....the Moderators can view the IP address anyways and unless that soul is experienced enough to use a proxy their identity is known anyways..fairly simple search algorithm which is hopefully available on this software, I know it is on vBulletin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:49 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Here's my stop smoking program for ya Hesh!

Eat, Spit, Be happy!
Words to live by! :lol:

And... they're Kosher!!! :lol:

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:21 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kirby
State: Wa. ... Devoted (Inspired?) hack
Maybe Rick has hung out here long enough that he has lost stability( it is contagious ya know) and he is "Guest"?

My point? Rick can take criticism I think. When he hands a little out he does it as Rick Turner.

Sorry to be rude "Guest" but unless you speak in your own name I do not care so BITE ME.

Kirby Olsen

Lance/Brock if you feel I have passed over that fine line feel free to delete this post.

"Sippin Loch Dhu @Black lake" ,Kirby O...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

K.O. wrote:
Sorry to be rude "Guest" but unless you speak in your own name I do not care so BITE ME.

Kirb: I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I ...think... thats bickering!! :D

"Multi famam, conscientiam, pauci verentur."
(Many fear their reputation, few their conscience)