Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:57 pm 
Koa
Koa

Yeah, there must be players here, too, right?

For me it's "Fat Man in the Bathtub" by Lowell George (guitar for me) and "Airmail Special" by Charlie Christian and Benny Goodman (uke for me).

It's interesting to try to kind of get between the electric guitar and slide parts with an acoustic on LIttle Feat stuff. Lowell goes for this incredible sustain that just isn't there on an acoustic. I loaded up Lowell's Strat with an Alembic Stratoblaster preamp in the mid '70s, and that's the sound you'll hear on the incredible live album, "Waiting for Columbus." "Fat Man" has this great Eb7 down to D7 thing and some really strange timing on chord changes...which is pretty normal for Little Feat...some pretty twisted changes with those guys, and yet with Richie Hayward on drums, it all just sounds so funky...

"Airmail Special" has some of the coolest use of diminished chords you'll ever hear. I'm trying to nail it up to speed on tenor uke... I found a share-ware program that lets you speed up or slow down MP3s without affecting pitch OR change pitch without affecting speed. It gets funky if you slow down much more than 20%, but that puts me in the game.

Now if I can just regain some calluses...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Rick, yeah, I play some also. Currently I'm trying to do an arrangement of Carol of the Bells, and see if all the parts can be reasonably done by one player. I think it has tremendous potential as an alternate tuning piece, especially if harmonics can be used for the bells. There was a YouTube clip of a hotshot doing the piece, which ended up being more fireworks than music. But he proved that it is possible.

Steve

http://www.stephenkinnaird.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Dave
Last Name: Anderson
City: Clearwater
State: Florida
Zip/Postal Code: 33755
That's a great live Little Feat album! I always have played the song "Willin" on it.
Its a very easy song to play btw. That's cool that you worked on Lowell Georges' guitars Rick!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:20 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I'm futzin' around on "Sweet Georgia Brown", "Lady Be Good", and "Minor Swing", all on mandolin. On the fiddle, I'm just starting to piece together "Cuckoo's Nest". Haven't really played guitar or bass for a while now...

edit:

Oh, and "Carol of the Bells" is one I worked up at Christmas time on mandolin, also. Great little workout tune!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:30 pm 
Koa
Koa

Ahhh..."Willin'" first came out on "Sailin' Shoes", yet another great one.

When I lived in Topanga Canyon in the 1990s, Richie Hayward live a couple doors down the street and right across from my workshop. I just love that hang back, second line New Orleans thing he does on drums...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

hmmmm....well I'm working on relearning about an hour of original solo music since my 23 year old daughter has asked me to play at her wedding...I used to play on the average easily over an hour a day from the age of 13 to about 10 years ago, but after doing my best to make it decided that I had climbed that mountain, reached the peak of my abilities and came to the conclusion that there were other things in life besides music...I now average maybe an hour a month of playing, so getting together an hour of music is going to be a chore....four months and counting! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
Focus: Build
Hey Grumpy, I didn't know you play fiddle. That's cool. I love to play Old Time Music on fiddle and back up with Texas Swing style progressive chords. Stuff like "Arkansas Traveler," "Tennessee Waltz," "Soldier's Joy," "Betty's Waltz,"
All the good music.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 am 
Koa
Koa

That would be "Sir Grumpy" to us now...he's been be-knighted. Or is it befuddled?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My wife and I have been playing with three other guys for a few months, and we're playing a party next weekend. We've worked up about forty songs, including about ten originals. Last minute additions to our list include: "Let Me Roll It", by Paul McCartney & Wings, "Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad", by Derek and the Dominoes, and a Brandi Carlisle song called "Have You Ever" that we're performing at our church in a few weeks. It's got a nifty little picking pattern that's pretty fun to play. I just put a B-Band UST pickup in my new granadillo OM today, and I'm excited to get to play it at church. I haven't decided if I want to risk taking it to the party next weekend.

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I seem to have 2 songs stuck inmy head lately and keep playing them over and over...

No Rain by blind melon and Old Man by Neil Young.

Ken H

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Whiskey Before Breakfast.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:58 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
This week it's Sweet Little Thing by SRV and She Talks to Angels by the Black Crowes. 95% of my playing is accompaniment for my voice, so my projects are usually focused in that direction.

The last month or so has been work on Hallelujah, based on the Jeff Buckley version (originally by Leonard Cohen), though I haven't found any recorded version yet that I like the vocal melodies to, so mine's quite a bit different from the recordings out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:17 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Next weekend I'm going to a cittern/guitar workshop and am currently going through my "homework" - working out melody and accompaniment for a number of English/Irish tunes including Roxburgh Castle, The Butterfly, and Morrison's Jig on the cittern in GCGCD and the guitar on CGCGCD tuning.

On harp guitar I'm working out an arrangement of Black Waterside/She Moved Through the Fair and would like to find some software that would make the timing sound seamless as I work out where the sub-bass strings are in relation to my right hand :oops:

On the Weiss I'm developing an interesting arrangement of It Ain't Necessarily So/The Shadow of Your Smile in open D tuning.

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:34 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

What tunes? Well on lute I'm working on the Dowland galliards, for some archive recordings. On steel string, I'm trying to master some of the Shetland music, trying to arrange some of Aly McBain's fiddle tunes to the guitar. On classical guitar what else is there but Terrega? Currently polishing Caprichio Arabe and some of the mazurkas. I'm also trying to transpose some of Turlough O'Carollan's Irish harp music for the nylon string guitar.

Colin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:48 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'm working on "Beau Fleuve" by Michael Chapdelaine. The transcription was in an issue of Fingerstyle Guitar recently. For anyone that doesn't know that magazine, it is a great source for music to play along with some nice articles.

For the record, I do not have the chops to play Chapdelaine and make it sound like him - but then again who does?

"All my favourite singers can't sing."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:53 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Dave, by the way, Black Waterside, is one of my favourites, I'd like to hear that sometime.

Colin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:14 am 
Koa
Koa

Lagrima-Tarrega, Estudio en Mi Menor-Tarrega, BWV 998 prelude-Bach, Frank Koonce version, Wonderful World-L. Armstrong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:29 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm working on a few Chet Atkins tunes like "A Man and a Woman" and Tommy Emmanuel's "Angelina".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:09 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: James
Last Name: Bolan
City: Nashville
State: Tennessee
I`m always pretty much working on my original tunes.Sir Grumps that`s impressive that you play several instruments.You would fit in well in Nashville.I have had the privelage of working with several multi talented musicians in studios over the years.Mostly my younger years.To say the least it is always a humbling experience to be in the presence of huge talent.
SKIN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:26 am 
Koa
Koa

Just yesterday I heard someone say they thought of Little Feet as having the super tight groove and accuracy of the Meters and the "train wreck in chaos" spontaneity of NRBQ. I thought that was fitting... My wife's band covers their tune "Let It Roll"... Classic bar room boogie!

Me... Workin' on "Angel Eyes", (the one Frank Sinatra did in the 50's) and Fat's Waller's "This Joint is Jumpin'. Also, I'm tryin' to get Charlie Chaplain's "Smile" back in shape and in the rotation.

long

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:00 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Steve
Last Name: Courtright
Corcovado (Quiet nights). The chord chart is so nice, but to solo over those changes is really tricky. Played this tune with some pros recently and declined to take a solo, so I am going to wood shed the changes for a bit to figure out what I can do!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:07 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Smoke On The Water

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:15 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tracy
Last Name: Leveque
City: Denver
State: CO
Colin S wrote:
I'm also trying to transpose some of Turlough O'Carollan's Irish harp music for the nylon string guitar.
Colin

Colin,
I didn't know you like Turlough O'Carollan. I've got 2 of them down on the banjola that I've been playing for the last 6 months. If you go to http://www.banjolas.com and then go to the hearit page, Edward's CD has a few O'Carolan tunes, tracks 2, 3, & 4 on his CD. I've learned Blind Mary & Sheebag a Sheemor. I love these tunes on the banjola. Here is a clip of Edward playing Blind Mary(I learned it from him)at healdsburg:

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:27 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Humours of Ballylochlin on the cittern and a backing arrangement on a DADGAD tuned guitar.

How Did We End Up Here by Martyn Joseph

Jarmin Point, self penned, on the Cittern

A Night To Remember, written by my pal Helen, arranged by me.

Shine Like The Moon (temporary title), self penned.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:44 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Actually, I'd love to be working on this one:

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010