It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: Romanillos
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Does anyone know the status of the Romanillos course, will he continue offering the course?

Post subject: Re: Romanillos
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:08 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

Robbie... do you need your password reset?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:54 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Brock,
Is that the work around for not being able to see the topics once signed in under my old name and password? If it is then let's reset the password. However, I used my old password when registering under "new Robbie O'Brien" I don't know if this makes a difference or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
Robbie, the last post I saw on the course, was that they were going to discontinue it, because the Monastery was being sold. I know Shawn was working with him on the museum thing, and was hoping it might also provide a place for the course to be taught too, but I have not heard any status on that. Either Shawn or Dave LaPlante might have more specific information for you.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:52 am 
Koa
Koa

I wrote Liam an email around the ninth of November asking about the future of the course. He gave a short response saying the monastery had been sold and there was nothing yet planned for the future of the course.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:04 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: LaPlante
Alas that is the current situation.
Considering the lack of availability of venues near Jose's home that are appropriate to the activity of the course, (which as it was explained to me are inexpensive enough to be practical) the future of the course is doubtful.
You may be encouraged to hear that his method book is completed and due to be published soon. This, in my opinion, should eclipse anything else that is out there at this point on the classical guitar. Though I have to say that meeting and working with Jose and his family was indeed a once in a lifetime experience.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
I have got to have that book. Let us know if you find out any more about the publication information.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:40 am 
Koa
Koa

Ditto for me.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:37 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pete
Last Name: Liccardello
City: Eden Prairie
State: Minnesota
While we all are waiting for Jose to finish and publish his book you can refer to the book "Making Musical Instruments: Strings and Keyboard" by Charles Ford, Pantheon Books, 1979. In this publication there is a chapter written by Jose Romanillos on classical guitar construction. The chapter on classical guitar construction is only 30 pages long and lacks the level of detail that we all would like to see but it does have some nicely done illustrations of jigs and instruction on some of his techniques, including the V-joint head to neck.

I found a copy at the local library and copied the chapter for my personal reference.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:19 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I talk to Jose Romanillos and his wife at least once a month. As of two weeks ago, not only has the monastery been sold but the current plans are to demolish the building. The developers that purchased the property have plans for a golf course/resort with the possibility of housing bordering the resort. Up until about twenty years ago this valley was basically the same since medieval times but will soon be propelling into the 21st century with little regard for the local culture.

The Brothers that lived at the monastery have been reassigned to our parts of Spain but before they left they asked Jose and Marion if there was anything from the monastery that they wanted as what ever was not taken would be plowed under when the buildings are demolished.

Marion took a small painting that someone had done of the monastery as it looked in the 70's. Jose took one of the classroom tables which each builders used to store their wood and tools.

There is currently a search for a future home for the class as well as the proposed Spanish Guitar museum. I am working with realtors in the same region and have looked at everything from warehouses that can be converted, a former school building, to castles that could be renovated. This could happen faster If the US stock market improves as well as the exchange rate between the dollar and the euro.

The book is in final draft form and is on track for publishing later this year. Jose is turning down a number of requests to be a judge or sit on panels for various classical guitar conferences in Europe so that he will be able to focus on getting the book finished.

Shawn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: LaPlante
Thanks for the update Shawn, last I had heard was their Christmas card..........
Though a bit out of date, the Tom and Mary Anne
Evans book "Guitars, from the Rennaisance to Rock" also has an excellent section on Jose' and his methods.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:50 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Take a look at the book, "Making Master Guitars" by Roy Courtnall (ISBN #0-7090-4809-2). It's an excellent 300+ page book with a section on Romanillos guitars along with various photos, and scale drawings. The book has sections on Torres, Santos Hernandez, Hauser, Hernandez y Aguado, Fleta, Bouchet, Friederich, and Romanillos.

I'm not a classical builder or player, but this book is full of great information and insight. I believe the book may be out of print, but it can still be found...but beware, it's not cheap!

My two cents.