It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject: I miss
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:32 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

One thing I do miss is being able to look at the active topics page at a glance a see if some one has replied to you or who all has posted on the subject, rather than just who posted last. I was keeping a scrap book of Alan's posts on several specific topics and it was easy to spot at a glance when he had chimed in while I was out. not so easy anymore.

Post subject: Re: I miss
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:48 pm 
I`ll tell you what I miss.It`s the whole forum.I re -registered, but I can`t get on no matter what.And this confirmation business just to reply to a post is hard for these old eyes to decipher.And how do you post a picture.Poooey on the whole thing.
THE PHANTOM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Michael, I believe you can subscribe to other people on this forum software.

I'm not totally sure, but I think in the friends and foes section you can add a friend which will highlight (maybe even send you an email) when that friend makes a post.

Although Hesh is a good friend, I wouldn't add him as I'd get about 20 new emails a day saying he posted something :lol: :lol:

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:57 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
Rod, Hesh sends you that many emails to let you know he posted? Wow, he spends a lot of time sending emails doesn't he? :) :lol: :lol:

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: How
City: Auburn
State: Ca
MichaelP wrote:
One thing I do miss is being able to look at the active topics page at a glance a see if some one has replied to you or who all has posted on the subject, rather than just who posted last. I was keeping a scrap book of Alan's posts on several specific topics and it was easy to spot at a glance when he had chimed in while I was out. not so easy anymore.

Michael, right above your first post is a "view active topics" link, it works just like the old one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Joe
Last Name: Breault
City: Merrimack
State: NH
Rod True wrote:

I'm not totally sure, but I think in the friends and foes section you can add a friend which will highlight (maybe even send you an email) when that friend makes a post.

I'm not so sure this forum needs a foes section... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Abercrombie
John How wrote:
Michael, right above your first post is a "view active topics" link, it works just like the old one.

No, it doesn't. The 'old' version had the 'Active Topics' link in a prominent place and with one click you could see all the active topics within a specified period- like last four hours, for example, in all of the discussion areas, organized by discussion.

Don't be fooled by lots of colors and smileys, and the speed resulting from a faster server and a fresh (defragged?) install of the database- the new version here has fewer useful features than the old.....except for folks who can't find their way to YouTube, I guess.

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Last Name: How
City: Auburn
State: Ca
JohnAbercrombie wrote:
John How wrote:

No, it doesn't. The 'old' version had the 'Active Topics' link in a prominent place and with one click you could see all the active topics within a specified period- like last four hours, for example, in all of the discussion areas, organized by discussion.

Don't be fooled by lots of colors and smileys, and the speed resulting from a faster server and a fresh (defragged?) install of the database- the new version here has fewer useful features than the old.....except for folks who can't find their way to YouTube, I guess.

John

Good to see that some things haven't changed Mr Abercrombie.....You seem to be your old happy and supremely helpful self :|

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:45 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

WaddyT wrote:
Rod, Hesh sends you that many emails to let you know he posted? Wow, he spends a lot of time sending emails doesn't he? :) :lol: :lol:

Remember Waddy I have your picture................ :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Abercrombie
John How wrote:
Good to see that some things haven't changed Mr Abercrombie.....You seem to be your old happy and supremely helpful self :|

John-
You treated Michael's comment dismissively. The fact is that the 'old' Active Topics feature doesn't exist here. I miss it also.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

The only difference is that it does days/weeks/months and not hours or "since your last visit". I don't know why that matters anyway, you're always going to get the most recent posts across all forums at the top and you can work your way back as far as you want. The link is always there in the same place no matter what forum you're looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:30 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian
Old Growth Brazilian

My point was lets say, I posted to a topic and then was gone for a day or two. With the old active topics page I could at a glance know someone had posted a response directly to me because if they used reply and or quote function it would logged and indented directly under my post regardless of post time or day of post when viewed from the active topics page with out having to open the topic itself.

With this new format you can easily tell who the last post was posted by, but that is it. To know anything about the progression of the tread you have to open the topic and read through every thing to know if John asked Paul a question about his previous post.

This is not a big gripe but is a feature I miss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hesh2 wrote:
WaddyT wrote:

OOPs! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:48 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pat
Last Name: Foster
State: Eastern WA
I miss having enough time after logging in to get a cup of tea before main page came up. Plus, I could never stay logged in before, but it works now, so I'm a happy camper. :D

The old feature of being able to view all the thread topics at once was nice, but just too slow for me. Plus, it must have put a big load on the server, typically putting up 700 or 800 lines of post titles per page pulled out of the database every time we wanted the Main Discussion view vs. the 25 thread titles it puts up now. That's a factor of about 30 to 1, so I can see why most forums don't have that convenience.

The navigation stuff could be better, but I mostly like the new SW. 'Course I haven't had the login and forum access issues, but getting more familiar with it has helped.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

WaddyT wrote:
Hesh2 wrote:
WaddyT wrote:

OOPs! :D

Waddy, a suggestion if I may. Billy T has a huge file on Hesh -- if you are friends with Billy T, you need not fear anything Hesh has on you... :D 8-) :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

What, Me Afraid? I'm not afraid. Bring it on, I look terrible in a bikini. If it's red. I look like a flag, what with all the white skin and blue veins. A BIG flag, I might add.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

i also miss a few things.
even though it likely slowed the whole thing down, i appreciated being able to see a longer title for posts so that i knew at a glance what it was about.
i appreciated being able to see who and in what order people were getting in to each discussion. i made most of my decisions about what to look at based on who was contributing to the discussion.
and i appreciated being able to hold my mouse over any of those participants names and see a temporary window with the first line or two of their response - just to know if the whole thread was still on topic or if it was just people throwing humorous exchanges back and forth.
but, so it goes. even though these things will likely cut down on the amount of time i spend checking out the forum, i still love lance and brock for running this thing and giving me a place to run to when i've got questions.
phil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:42 am 
Koa
Koa

MichaelP wrote:
My point was lets say, I posted to a topic and then was gone for a day or two. With the old active topics page I could at a glance know someone had posted a response directly to me because if they used reply and or quote function it would logged and indented directly under my post regardless of post time or day of post when viewed from the active topics page with out having to open the topic itself.

With this new format you can easily tell who the last post was posted by, but that is it. To know anything about the progression of the tread you have to open the topic and read through every thing to know if John asked Paul a question about his previous post.

This is not a big gripe but is a feature I miss

Michael, I agree completely. When I opened OLF, this was the page I opened. This unique feature allowed you to see exactly what was going on - who had replied, if anyone had replied to my specific post (indented), the first couple of lines of each post (by holding pointer over post) without actually having to open the thread (a help with dial-up) - it was great!! If this feature is lost, it will definitely be a step backwards!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:36 am 
Z wrote:
if you are friends with Billy T, you need not fear anything Hesh has on you...

There's no need! Anybody that's afraid of Hesh and his dastardly images is already a friend of mine! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:06 am 
Site Admin

First name: Lance
Last Name: Kragenbrink
City: Vandercook Lake
State: Michigan
Zip/Postal Code: 49203
JohnAbercrombie wrote:
John How wrote:

John-
You treated Michael's comment dismissively. The fact is that the 'old' Active Topics feature doesn't exist here. I miss it also.

Odd, I have one and it works perfectly :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.