PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
I may be dense, but do you put the inserts in the wall of the box that the four bolts that hold the bottom bushing shaft? Do they give added strength, and protect it from stripping out?

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:18 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
WaddyT wrote:
I may be dense, but do you put the inserts in the wall of the box that the four bolts that hold the bottom bushing shaft? Do they give added strength, and protect it from stripping out?

Waddy-
I've never used Helicoils myself, but my neighbour fixes up old cars and he uses them from time to time. Instead of drilling larger and tapping for a different size bolt, you drill and then use the helicoil tool to 'tap' the hole, then put in the helicoil insert, which matches the original bolt size/threads. Then you just use the original bolt (or same size replacement).
It might be cheaper to try to get somebody to put in the helicoil for you (assuming the part is portable) rather than buying the tool for one hole. However, they are handy things if you work on machines a lot.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Waddy
Last Name: Thomson
City: Charlotte
State: NC
Focus: Build
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. Not sure it is cost effective for a cheap, Chinese, Craftsman band saw. I'm gonna see what the service people say on Friday, then I'll decide what to do. I'm hoping they say take it back and get a new one. After all, it's only 6 months old. Should have bought the replacement warranty, then there wouldn't have been any question. I just hate those things though, replacement warranties, that is, they seem like such a waste, until something like this. Too bad Sears doesn't treat their machinery the same way they do the hand tools. No questions asked on screwdriver replacement, or sockets, etc.

Photobucket Build Album Library

Sound Clips of most of my guitars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:07 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
WaddyT wrote:
Not sure it is cost effective for a cheap, Chinese, Craftsman band saw.

Yup. for me, it would depend on how many $$ I had tied up in spare blades for the saw.
Good luck with it!

Back to the regularly scheduled programming in this thread.....

Cheers
John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

I just bought a G05132x2 (17" Extreme) last week and so far, it's great. I have yet to do any heavy re-sawing but I see no reason that it won't do just fine.

I originally was looking for a 14" saw. I looked at everything from the cheapest Griz to a Powermatic. I live 5 minutes from Grizzly so I went in to kick the tires on all theirs and this new 17" saw is really nice. The frame is as solid as any I've seen, better than my 10 year old Laguna 16. The cast iron trunion makes the table much more solid than the other models. The guides are nice and easy to adjust. The table is pretty flat and well ground. The wheels were coplaner right out of the crate (although it didn't have to suffer getting shipped half way accross the country). The guide arm is solid too and was only about .007" out of plumb in 12" of travel and best of all, it was adjustable! Spot on now. Quiet, balanced, low vibration. And similar price to the Powermatic 14". But I'm only talking about this model. The other 17" didn't look as good.