It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I don't have much of a clue what to buy. I have 3/4 resaw blade (3 TPI) that I love. The smaller blades I have purchased have not worked out so well, but it seems wrong to leave the resaw blade on for general cutting, and it doesn't cut curves very well.
In the Grizzly catalogue for the Timber Wolf blades it talks about Raker, HP, AS-S, Positive Claw, hook.
How do I know what TPI to order?
Are carbide tipped blades worth buying?
I have a Delta 14 and I just don't know what to order for cutting braces, neck blanks, tops, binding, plywood molds etc. Can someone help me out or show me a good website?
My Delta 1hp seems a little under powered, are there blades that are a better choice, especially for making molds?
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I use a 5/8" blade to do all of my resawing and it is a 4 TPI blade (hook). If I am going to be sawing curves, especially sharp curves, I'll change the blade to a 1/4" 6TPI. Otherwise, I leave the 5/8 blade on.

I also have a 3/8" blade that is something like 10TPI that I use for sawing plastics. Lexan and Corian will dull a blade in a hurry.

I usually get my blades from woodcraft, but I have ordered them through Hastings saws. The price is much better at Hastings if you can wait on them.

Ken H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:38 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Steve, I use only one blade on my Delta 14, a general purpose Olson 1/4 inch. With it, I resaw four inch neck blanks to perfection.

It seems some use their 14's for resawing backs, but usually they've upgraded to a riser block and Carter's.

I use Lenox TriMaster's 1 inch in my Laguna 18, 3/4 Varitooth. They are great, but are recommended for 17" or larger saws, the lit says 18", but some dealers know folks successfully using them on Grizzly 17's.

The TPI issue comes in on hardwood vs softwoods. I tend to prefer a few more teeth per inch on hardwoods. Spruce cuts well on 1 to 2 teeth per inch. The larger gullets hold more cuttings.

Good luck on your bandsaw quest. There is a definite learning curve for resawing successfully. One I'm working on right now is dust collection, upgrading to 6 inch tube all the way to each machine and trapping dust in a cyclone system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:46 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: michael
Last Name: mcclain
City: pendleton
State: sc
Zip/Postal Code: 29670
  3/4" blades are not recommended on 14" saws. the small wheels flex them too much and will lead to premature breakage, and the springs are not designed to tension them.

1/2" blades are the largest that they will tension properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have a 14 in Delta with the riser and carter bearing guides, and only the 3/4 hp motor. I use only Tuff Tooth blades made by a local guy near me, R&D Bandsaws (try Google). The two blades I buy (and only these) are the 1/2 3tpi , and the 3/16 10tpi industrial hardened blades - I have no need for anything else. And I have resawn a fair amount with the 1/2 3tpi - many tops in sitka and cedar, 11x48 inch padauk into sets, 10 inch mahogany and makore, hard and soft maples ... countless woods for bindings and headplates, neck blanks .. its a little workhorse in my shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
I also buy from R&D after getting a tip from Tony. Excellent products at good prices and they charge little for shipping.
I like their 'Lil Ripper' blades as well- they go on sale for $25 (any length up to 150") fairly often.

Cheers
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:39 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

On my Delta 14 inch saw with 3" riser:

I use a 1/4" 6 tpi skip tooth blade for general purpose cutting.

For wider resaw work I use a 1/2" 3 tpi hook tooth

For veneer work I use a very fine toothed blade 18 tpi?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:45 am 
Koa
Koa

The TimberWolf ASS has a .025" thick band that should be fine on a 14" saw.   It's what I use on my 20" horizontal resaw.    Great blade for resawing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 pm 
Koa
Koa

I just bought a wood slicer (top rated by Fine Woodworking) from Highland
Hardware. Its a 1/2" 3 tpi. I wouldn't waste money on a Timber Wolf blade.
Cut some lexan with it and it was toast. Response from the manufacturer
was, lexan will dull it. Had better luck with Grizzly blades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

Why cut a material not recommended on any blade?   You're fighting blade geometry, not quality. Learn what blades are for what materials and use them properly before you criticize.   I can run the Timberwolf blades for hours and hours of resawing wood...which is what they're designed for.    

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:02 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Phila
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
I pretty much use one size. I use a 1/4 timberwolf blade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:03 am 
Koa
Koa

My rikon 14" deluxe came standard with a 5/8" blade, but I was thinking of going with the 3/4" and just dedicate this saw to straight cuts and resawing. I've got a 10" that I do all of my small cuts and radius cuts with.
According to rikon, the 14" Deluxe will take the 3/4" just fine and the blade tension release would help extend the life of the blade.
Is the 3/4" too much to use? Would I do just as well to go with a narrower blade...even for resawing?
Is there a big difference in cut or blade longevity with a 3 tpi vs. 4 tpi?
-j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 am 
Koa
Koa

There's a lot more to bandsaw blades than width and the number of teeth.   Go to the Suffolk Machinery website and read up on it all.   

This is basic woodworking stuff, kind of like knowing the difference between a crosscut saw and a rip saw.   

BTW, all this "cutting geometry" stuff extends deep into router bits as well...

The info is all out there...and not much of it is to be found here. Read up on all the saw and bit companies you can find on line.   

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:46 am 
Koa
Koa

I should have clarified that I was asking specifically about the Timberwolf blades.
-j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:48 am 
Koa
Koa

And thanks for the website tip, Rick. Much of the firsthand info I get at the woodworking store here is "sure, that'll work" and still leaves me scratching my head for the 'best' solution.
-j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Steve
Last Name: Walden
City: Bartlesville
State: Oklahoma
Zip/Postal Code: 74006
Focus: Build

Here is the Suffolk Link: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

They don't seem to have much in the way of everyday usage tips...Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:33 am 
Koa
Koa

If you move your cursor over Tiber Wolf Blades, then Vertical Woodcutting Bandsaws, there are a bunch of options on tensioning, setup, general use. Mostly pertaining to the Timber Wolf brand. Also, the blade selection guide is VERY helpful.
-j.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: michael
Last Name: mcclain
City: pendleton
State: sc
Zip/Postal Code: 29670
there are generally three problems running wider blades on small, e.g., 14" saws.

one relates primarily to blade durability; the blade flexs a lot more on smaller wheels and the wider blades, which are also thicker, are then more  subject to metal fatigue potentially leading to premature breakage.

two relate to primarily to performance; the thicker blade requires more power to make its cut since it is removing more wood, and the blade is harder to tension. most 14" saws standard springs are not strong enough to tension 3/4" blades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Lee Valley also sells a Timberwolf, 1/2" 3tpi.

"All my favourite singers can't sing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

The Timberwolf ASS resaw blade is designed specifically for that purpose and it is recommended for hand feeding, though I power feed all my stuff.   That particular blade is 3/4" but is based on a thin .025" band with .010" of set for a nominal kerf of .045"...much narrower, and thus requiring less power than the usual .035" bands that often have closer to .020" set. I have cut thick billets into guitar sets, and I have done very careful measurements that confirm an actual kerf loss of about .046" on the ASS blades...a rather unfortunate part number designation!   

So you can successfully run the Timberwolf ASS resaw blades on a well tuned 14" saw.   I'd go for a 2 hp motor and probably go to Carter ball bearing guides.   I use a "Lil' Mister" mist coolant on my Baker saw, and that might not be a bad idea on a vertical saw as well. Good old kitchen "Pam" makes for an excellent blade lubricant, too.

The #1 enemy of blades and bits is heat and anything you can do to lessen that issue will make your blades last longer.   

We've probably cut several thousand guitar sets on my resaw, a lot for ourselves, but also wood that has wound up everywhere from Fender to Taylor to Martin to Roberto Venn.   Most has been sliced using the Timberwolf ASS model blades.   I've run Lennox and Laguna carbide, and the Lennox was very good, but if you hit a rock or a nail...all too common in this biz...you just wrote a check for $270.00 or so.   In quantities of 30, the Timberwolf blades come down nicely under $30.00 for 14' 2" blades that run on my Baker.

BTW, Roberto Venn just got a Baker...congrats, John!