It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:12 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I have some quartered flame maple that will be turned into binding. Is 3/16 really that much difference for bending? Has anyone kerfed the waist/upper bout with thicker binding to get it to bend easier with good results? I noticed on my inside kerfle that the cut lines pretty much dissapear.  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I would have to say that 3/16 for a figured wood will not be easy - without trying it, who can really say. As far as cutting a tiny kerf in and then bending, I guess that would work, but I would say under a finish you will see every one of them ... why not just thin it to .100 or less .... I have bent curly at that thickness alot. as well, what shape are you looking to bend it into ??? Dread, not so tough .. tight waist of a jumbo - not likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:59 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: John
Last Name: Abercrombie
Different maple species (and sticks) vary quite a bit in their properties, in my limited experience. With curly wood, often 'too much' soaking/water can cause extra problems. Cut some extra strips and do some experiments, though 3/16 is really thick. You might be able to do 1/8, which looks pretty thick on the guitar, compared to 'normal' aka skinny bindings.

You can also 'layer' a couple of thinner binding strips, though the glue line will probably show with maple.

Cheers

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

3/16 would be double, or even more than double what most of us would use for typical binding thickness.

Maple, especially curly maple will be very difficult to bend at 3/16 thick. Also as Tony said, cutting a small kerf to bend the binding will be next to impossible to hide let alone look good IMO. Why not just sand it down to something more managable like 0.100" or less?

I generally bend my bindings at the same thickness or slightly less than the side thickness (usually 0.085").

the other thing you can try and do is to do a curly maple purfling on the top with a really thin (0.020") black purfling between the binding and main maple purfling, that might look really good. Or you can try and skip the black purfling line and just go curly maple bindings and curly maple purflings, although the seam between them will most likely be noticeable.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:54 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

At 3/16ths you're also starting to cut well into the linings.

"All my favourite singers can't sing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

good point Dr White ... not advisable, kerfing (which is really a whole lot of nothing according to HK), and its gluing surface area is what holds guitars together