PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:08 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Tom
Last Name: Rein
City: Saline
State: Michigan
Focus: Build
For those who use one of these: is the expense for abrasives a sour note? I have read lots of positive comments about the 3000 but I can't get an idea how long the discs last. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Worksharp 3000
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:03 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
I've had one for many years and have found the abrasives last a pretty long time. For me anyway, the expense is worth it.

As for how long they last--I can't really say in terms of time or how many sharpenings, but I don't change the discs very often.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:46 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Toonces
Last Name: the Cat
City: New Smyrna Beach
State: FL
Tom,
I had a Worksharp years ago but didn't really like it - mostly because of the abrasives and found it to be a hassle. I also tried a Tormek and didn't really like that either. Currently, I sharpen with a honing guide and waterstones. However, I recently got a grinder with CBN wheels and they are simply amazing. I use the grinder for resetting the bevel angle when needed. They now make CBN wheels for the Worksharp and I've always thought that would be a really nice setup. Here's a link:

https://woodturnerswonders.com/collecti ... work-sharp

These users thanked the author Toonces for the post (total 2): Pmaj7 (Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:23 am) • ballbanjos (Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:43 am)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Don
Last Name: Parker
City: Charleston
State: West Virginia
Zip/Postal Code: 25314
I have one, and it is OK. There are things it is good for, and other things it is not. I don't worry about abrasive life and cost. To me, the bigger hassle is changing the paper, i.e., getting the old paper off the discs and putting on new paper. You can always get more glass discs and have them ready to go when one wears out, but that just kicks the unpleasant job down the road.

Consider a Sorby Pro Edge. I love it. More expensive, but waaaay faster. A very cool machine.

These users thanked the author doncaparker for the post: Pmaj7 (Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:25 am)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:45 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Dave
Last Name: Ball
Toonces wrote:
Tom,
I had a Worksharp years ago but didn't really like it - mostly because of the abrasives and found it to be a hassle. I also tried a Tormek and didn't really like that either. Currently, I sharpen with a honing guide and waterstones. However, I recently got a grinder with CBN wheels and they are simply amazing. I use the grinder for resetting the bevel angle when needed. They now make CBN wheels for the Worksharp and I've always thought that would be a really nice setup. Here's a link:

https://woodturnerswonders.com/collecti ... work-sharp

I've used discs like those for years on a GRS graver sharpener for sharpening engraving tools, and they work great. I didn't know they were available for the Worksharp, but they would clearly be an improvement.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:46 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
I've had one for years and it gets regular use. For cleaning up damaged blades and setting the main bevel, it's really nice. I use it all the time for flattening the faces of my cabinet scrapers - just a quick hit on all faces really cleans them up quickly. I do use a Scary Sharp system for maintaining the edges on my good blades. I feel I have more control of the edge with SS and my bevel guide. But for my beater blades, the Worksharp is great! Paper is not a deal-killer for me.