Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be nice, no cussin and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

I am way too allergic to epoxy to use it for carbon fiber. Is there any other way to glue to braces?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

I haven't done it on braces, but I've glued carbon fiber rods in necks using both CA and original Gorilla Glue with good results.

Dave

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post: wbergman (Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

Also, I have a friend who used to laminate a thin carbon fiber sheet as the middle laminate on necks (looked pretty much like a black veneer like you'd see on old banjos), and he used Titebond. I never saw one fail, but I don't know whether or not he did.

Dave

These users thanked the author ballbanjos for the post: wbergman (Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:18 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
Focus: Build
I think the glue that works might vary depending on the supplier of the carbon fiber. I think the guy at ALLRed told me once that I could use hide glue with his carbon fiber.n So, check with the supplier.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post (total 2): WudWerkr (Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 am) • wbergman (Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

bobgramann wrote:
I think the glue that works might vary depending on the supplier of the carbon fiber. I think the guy at ALLRed told me once that I could use hide glue with his carbon fiber.n So, check with the supplier.

I've use hide glue and it works really well. 192 works but 315 is particularly good as it is super thin and wicks really fast. You can also use hammer veneering technique to set the carbon fiber in place. Super easy and no mess from epoxy or cyanoacrylate.

These users thanked the author Elman Concepcion for the post: wbergman (Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:29 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:06 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Ernest
Last Name: Kleinman
City: Guthrie
State: OK
Zip/Postal Code: 73044
Elman for laying vy thin strips of cf over my braces. I use fish glue from olde mill shoppe in PA.. Dries very hard . Never used HHG but I have both 192 and 314 g. . I would have to test the difference between fish and hide

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: wbergman (Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 am)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Tim
Last Name: Allen
City: San Francisco
Mario Proulx, who used to post about sandwiching carbon fiber composite in braces, used PU glue, though not Gorilla brand. PU glue has worked for me on carbon composite. As far as I know PU glue is generally recognized as a good glue for this purpose, but last time I checked I was not infallible. : D

I have tested fish glue and Titebond with the carbon fiber I have and, while it held, it didn't hold all that well. I think it depends on the carbon fiber composite you have, and perhaps also on what strength you want. I'd suggest you do your own tests.

It's easy enough to test whether glue holds, at least in the short term. If it holds well for a few days it doesn't guarantee that it will hold for years, and some bonds strengthen over time. But if I glue prepare the surfaces properly, clamp well, and the glued parts parts pull apart fairly easily after a couple of days, that tells me it didn't work.

These users thanked the author TimAllen for the post: wbergman (Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:59 am)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:24 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Hide glue, and probably fish glue, breaks down over time when exposed to air. I would not use them for a surface laminate, such as Smallman uses, unless you can protect the glue from air. I use hide glue for side tapes, and shellac them; we'll find out in 75 years or so if it works. I don't trust fish glue under high humidity, in any case.

These users thanked the author Alan Carruth for the post (total 2): wbergman (Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:15 am) • Michaeldc (Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:36 am)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I've mostly heard of PU, but a few use System 3 or other structural epoxy. I think I would use PU unless I was already mixing up a batch of epoxy.

These users thanked the author bftobin for the post: wbergman (Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:18 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Carl
Last Name: Dickinson
City: Forest Ranch
State: California
Zip/Postal Code: 95942
I bought a upright bass fingerboard from Moses Graphite last year and they recommended HHG or fish glue to attach it. Of course we don't have that high of humidity here in Northern CA for long periods like elsewhere.

These users thanked the author CarlD for the post: wbergman (Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:09 am 
Koa
Koa

I dont use clear white poly gorilla glue or epoxy, as it leaves an unsightly mess, when I work with it, A cheap thin artists brush from the dollar store seems to work very well in laying down a nice thick coat of fish glue against the bracing sock.

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: wbergman (Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:25 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:19 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Unibond 800 is a great laminating glue for wood. Wonder how it would work with Carbon Fiber?

These users thanked the author Terence Kennedy for the post: wbergman (Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:52 am)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
CA glue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ChuckH for the post: wbergman (Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:52 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 am 
Koa
Koa

Terry, I bought some unibond 800 from woodcraft and have used it for a bunch of gluing operations, Call me frugal, but for the operations I used it for ,. The cost outweighs its usefulness. I bought some titebond brown veneer glue and it was just as effective at half the cost of the unibond . IMHO the titebond group of glues are the best bang for the $. I also use hide and fish from ye olde mill shoppe in PA. i have yet to find a ca glue that I like . I/ve tried many of them, My latest foray was starbond and the cap kept getting stuck on the bottle , Total pita to remove. Going back to the cheapies from hobby lobby.

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post (total 3): wbergman (Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:12 pm) • Terence Kennedy (Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:44 pm) • Chris Pile (Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:41 am)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Ernie demonstrates the old truism more luthiers should heed... "Time is money".

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): wbergman (Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:12 pm) • Ernie Kleinman (Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:35 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:31 pm 
Koa
Koa

HAHA chris , wish it was true long hours an low pay . But you are correcto about time vs $$$ senor chris

These users thanked the author Ernie Kleinman for the post: wbergman (Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:12 pm)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:07 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Willard
Last Name: Guthrie
City: Cumberland
State: Maryland 21502
Zip/Postal Code: 21502
Focus: Repair
Don't overlook the necessary prep for CF glue-up...I suspect that some of the failures we have seen have more to do with removal of surface contamination and good prep than the adhesive used.

-Mark Helprin, The Oceans and the Stars: A Sea Story, A War Story, A Love Story (A Novel)

These users thanked the author Woodie G for the post: wbergman (Sun May 02, 2021 2:16 pm)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I used my Smith’s All-Wood Epoxy. I don’t think you’d have a reaction to it, but certainly don’t know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author James Orr for the post: wbergman (Sun May 02, 2021 2:16 pm)

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

Can't risk any epoxy.