Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
Focus: Build
The Harp Guitar is pretty cool - all of these instruments show creativity and skill.

I posted my Covid Guitar a couple of days ago - the post is titled Number 9. It is a Redwood and Maple 00 with a Stauffer neck, using Frank Ford's 10:1 banjo tuners. It's about a week old now and plays wonderfully, with a sound that is rich, yet sharp.

Are we having fun yet?

Ed M

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post (total 2): Michaeldc (Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:16 pm) • bcombs510 (Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:13 pm)

Post subject: Re: Quarantine projects
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Wow! There’s some great work going on. Well done!

My quarantine projects have been quite varied. So far, I have climbed up into the attic to install a ceiling fan in one of our bathrooms and add supportive bracing to a cold air return vent, then came back down and patched the related cracks in the ceiling, installed and painted French doors that open onto our patio and hung new doors in three bedroom closets. Then I climbed onto the roof to tuck point the chimney, prune back overhanging tree limbs, and clean the roof and gutters. After that I dug a trench and lined it with rocks so two roof drains will carry rainwater to a new planting area and created a brick and gravel path along the east side of our house.

Unfortunately, that last bit blew my back out, which turned into a full-blown case of sciatica that knocked me out of commission for a couple of weeks. (If you’ve never had the pleasure, trust me, you don’t want it. If I owned a chainsaw, I probably would have cut my leg off.)

In addition to all the home improvement projects, I've been busy working around 900 billable hours as well. I'm grateful to have the work during the pandemic.

In my spare time, I’ve been making slow progress on a smallish guitar that will be a gift for my niece’s young son. (I guess that makes him my grandnephew?) It's red spruce over maple and loosely based on the Martin O-16 NY model. The plates are braced and ready for me to bend the ribs.

Attachment:
Katie_2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author George L for the post (total 3): TimAllen (Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm) • bcombs510 (Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:35 pm) • Michaeldc (Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:24 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Giltzow
City: Boise
State: Idaho
Zip/Postal Code: 83709
I have a few quarantine projects. One guitar, a slope shouldered Dread:

A Roman Byzantine geared calendar/sundial

And a working model of the first steam engine, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq0yX6QRKFk

These users thanked the author giltzow for the post (total 5): Colin North (Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:58 am) • bcombs510 (Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:08 pm) • Hans Mattes (Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:28 pm) • J De Rocher (Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:04 pm) • Michaeldc (Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:58 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: colin
Last Name: north
Love all the projects gitzow!

Catgut is an abbreviation of the word cattle gut. Gut strings are made from sheep or goat intestines, in the past even from horse, mule or donkey intestines.

Otherwise it could be from the word kitgut or kitstring. Kit meant fiddle, not kitten.

These users thanked the author Colin North for the post: giltzow (Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:07 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:24 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tony
Last Name: Thatcher
City: Bozeman
State: MT
Looks like everybody's been busy. I've been a bit a wol for the last year as we've moved and I've taken on a enormous remodel of our new house while we're living in it! But that's another story.

Latest on the build front, a unique long scale project. 28ft exact. Double-walled. Ladder braced. Composite top with no back.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author mountain whimsy for the post (total 2): Michaeldc (Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:52 am) • bcombs510 (Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:54 pm)